Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 and Windows 8

Astute Commentator

ACT 2011 and Windows 8

Will ACT 2011 Pro  run on Windows 8?  I can't find a compatibility chart. Thanks. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 and Windows 8

Typically, proper testing doing start till the retail release (due next week) ... pretty sure on the current version will be tested for compatibility
Astute Commentator

I'm installing ACT! 2011 Pro on a Windows 8 machine right now.  I will report back later.

It installs fine... but there are already a few issues that Sage is fixing for ACT! 2013 SP1
Tuned Listener

Have the same question.... Is ACT! 2011 PRO compatible with Windows 8?

Act! Pro 2011 opens in W8 (upgrade, not clean install,) but cannot log into the database created under W7 although it resides on the same machine. Sage tech support says compatibility testing has just begun.

Sad support.

Ps... The Microsoft site lists Act! Pro 2011 as:
Compatible
No Action Required
Bronze Super Contributor

Two things come to mind here,

one, asking for any product to support a newly released OS (especially when the OS is a major overhaul), finding it's not there, and commenting that that's "sad support" is a bit harsh.

The ACT! Dev team have done things that are published "Microsoft Best Practice" (Think some of the SQL decisions) and have been hammered for it. In 2013 they've gone with using some .NET 4 stuffs, new Win8 gets released, and within a week they're getting hammered (this is just one thread) about why they can't keep up. Think about it people. Put brain in gear before mouth into motion. This is complex stuff. If it isn't, then go do it yourself.

second, I can't see the link you're referring to, can you post it here for all of us to benefit from?

barnone wrote:
Ps... The Microsoft site lists Act! Pro 2011 as:
Compatible
No Action Required

The "sad support" comment comes from the fact that developer editions of W8 have been available for several months now. As a result, The Sage Group has had plenty of time to test prior to the public release which is now available.

The link, as requested: http://bit.ly/Sha1Uj

Full support testing only starts when the product is released as Microsoft regularly make last-minute changes till then (like all developers)

Some more discussion on this here: http://lnkd.in/_aVVEV