Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 and MS Office 2010 64 bit

ACT 2011 and MS Office 2010 64 bit

To whom it may concern,

I have been an ACT customer for close to 20 years. I recently updated/purchased ACT2011 and a year’s support subscription at the urging of a pleasant young man named Matt Rapp. I told him my situation, that I was upgrading my home office to MS Home Server, 64 bit along with upgrading my computers to Windows 7 64 bit and Office 2010 64 bit. I was assured this would be no problem. Silly me, I did not do due diligence by looking at the many complaints on the ACT website stating that ACT 2011 WILL NOT WORK with MS Office 2010 64 bit and that there are no future plans to fix this situation. I am a very unhappy customer!! It seems that my only recourse is to downgrade my complete network to accommodate the inadequate programming at Sage/ACT. I am going to post this on every website and every Facebook and tell everyone I know about this situation. I cannot believe that I am the only person to experience this situation. 85% of the computers sold today are 64 bit systems. I want you to fix this problem. I want to use my ACT the way it is supposed to work. I do not want to downgrade my system to 32 bit.

I look forward to your response before I start the ball rolling. I hope you have heard me and I am sure all the other unhappy ACT users.

Regards

Jim Vinton

Vinton & Associates, Inc.

12778 Woodgrove Dr.

Huntley, IL 60142

jamesvinton@comcast.net 

Cell: 847-927-3945

Office: 847-659-9154

Fax; 847-659-9156

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 and MS Office 2010 64 bit

[ Edited ]

First, I feel your pain.  The whole challenge of keeping ACT! versions vs. 32-bit & 64-bit Office and OS compatibility matrices in our collective heads has been a challenge.

[Edit: content removed]

That being said, if it's any consolation, you could consider removing Office 64-bit and installing Office 32-bit,  the general consensus is that 1) ACT! isn't the only Office / Outlook addons that doesn't currently support 64-bit, 2) the performance difference may be unnoticeable to the average user like me, and 3) even Microsoft has recommended in the past to go with 32-bit Office (admittedly a little out of date).

Good luck to you!

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

ACT! runs perfectly fine on x64 systems, you do not need to downgrade anything but Office.

As Kevin said, it works fine with Office 2010 in x32 bit mode... on your x64 systems. Unless using Excel/Word files larger than 1GB, you shouldn't notice any difference.

When installing Office 2010 on an x64 system, it gives you this choice because so many apps that connect to it are in the same situation.

Also, not sure where you get the idea that there are "no future plans to fix this situation"? It will be fixed once the third-party components that Sage use have been fully updated to x64 ...

Additionally, MANY Microsoft and Google products are still unable to connect to Office 2010 x64 ... this is not something specific to ACT!
Bronze Super Contributor

Microsoft have reccomended not to install MSO x64.

If they've changed that advice, I'd love to see a link to it.

Here's a question for you guys, can I just install Outlook 2010 32 bit?

Jim

and continue to use MSO 2011 64?

No. AFAIK, you cannot mix 32-bit and 64-bit installations of any parts of Office. And you need to uninstall the x64 before you can re-install as x32

Is there a reason this is important to you?

As said, unless dealing with muti-GB spreadsheets, it really doesn't make a big difference.... and even Microsoft products (like Windows Mobile) and some Google products can't yet connect to O2010x64

In many ways, I think MS should have left x32 as the default and x64 as an option... would cause less issues and few would notice.

Money is the only reason. I now have to buy another MSO. I am a  sales rep self employed and these things cost money.

You shouldn't need to buy ... just uninstall and reinstall. There is an option to install as x32

Wouldn't this all be moot point if ACT would just upgrade to 64 bit ASAP. I can live with the problem for a little while and they will have to come around and stop making excuses sooner or later. After all 64 bit has been out , now , for over a year? ACT has always been very stodgy about change. PS what's an AFAIK?