Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Upgrade Issue

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2011 Upgrade Issue

Hi everyone, I have an ACT database that Im trying to log into for the first time after upgrading from ACT 2009 to ACT 2011.  Unfortunately, Im getting the following error: The act datbase <database name> could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection...

If i look at this database via actdiag.exe, its showing this database in recovery mode.. so its essentially locking the database.  Its also showing the database as version 11, not 13 like all the other upgraded databases.

So 2 questions.  First, is there any way for me to upgrade the ACT database "again"?  Secondly (and more general), any other ideas why I would have this issue?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Upgrade Issue

Thanks for the reply John.  I was able to detach the database, I ended up deleting the PAD file, when I opened the ADF, ACT recreated the PAD and upgraded teh database.  weird.. but it worked!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Contributor

in ACT diag, you could right click on the database and see if you can perform maintenance. if this doesn't work, right click and detach it.  Then you could try opening a copy from a backup.  Did it every work in 2011? Did you receive any errors upon conversion?  Does it still work anywhere?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Thanks for the reply John.  I was able to detach the database, I ended up deleting the PAD file, when I opened the ADF, ACT recreated the PAD and upgraded teh database.  weird.. but it worked!

Silver Contributor

That is the way it works. the pad file is just a pointer file.  If every you need to move a database, ,jsut move the .adf, .alf and the supplemental files folder. Then on the new machine, reattach the database to SQL by chooseing file, Open  and open the .adf file. This will recreate the .pad file.  (you can also edit hte .pad file in a text editor.)

Glad you are  on your way again.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider