Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Pro won't sync with Outlook 2010

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Pro won't sync with Outlook 2010

Are you using the "All Act! Contacts" sync set?

Mark Rogers
Act! v20 Update 9, Topline Designer
Office 365 SBP
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, I am syncing all ACT contacts. I've been trying to integrate ACT for every individual in my office, and it's just on my boss's computer that a couple are not coming through to Outlook. On his computer I believe there's somewhere from 500-1,000, I'm not sure of the exact number. It's confusing because we have different privacy settings, such as Public, Private, Limited Access...

How many are not sync'ing (difference in number between ACT! and Outlook)?
Are they private or limited?
What version/build of ACT! from help | about?

You might check in Outlook to disable the Duplicate Detection feature. To turn this feature off, do the following:
On the Tools menu, click Options.
Click Contact Options, and then clear the Check for duplicate contacts check box.

Why do you want to sync to Outlook if everyone on ACT!?
When you have multiple users sync'ing with outlook, it's pretty easy to cause data loss or duplication in ACT! ... and it's nearly certain if Outlook is then sync'ing to Exchange or mobile phones.

Well the idea was to use it as sort of an internal office database, so people can see who is being pursued as prospective clients (we have another web-based ACT database which syncs with the desktop version for this purpose).

It's ACT 2012, trying to sync with Outlook 2007. The contacts are limited. I'd have to check for the exact numbers. Hmm I will try disabling the duplicate detection...

If ACT! is the database, why do you need the sync with Outlook? If just for email addresses, you have the database as an Outlook address book without sync.

Do you sync Outlook with phones?
Would you ever edit the details in Outlook (or phone) and want it to update ACT!?

If yes to either of those, I strongly recommend using an add-on - you'll be much happier.

Because since everyone still uses Outlook for email, we want it to have the same contacts. When someone inputs a contact into ACT we need it to update in Outlook too. Yes, Outlook syncs with everyones' phones as well. And no, we only want the sync to go from ACT to Outlook, not vice versa.

What exactly are these "add-ons," and how are they used?

You don't need to sync the contacts to email them ... the database shows as an Outlook address book if you set it up

To sync to phones, I'd use Handheld Contact
To sync to outlook or Exchange, I'd use 123 Synchronizer
Highlighted

No, but we don't want different versions of each contact in either ACT or Outlook, so they need to sync to remain consistent. All we really wanted to do was have ACT sync the rest of them...

If you want everyone to have the same addresses reliably, just use the database as an address book ... that will be using the live info and will save you a lot of headaches