Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 Pro: Sharing Database or Synchronizing?

ACT! 2011 Pro: Sharing Database or Synchronizing?

I have installed ACT! 2011 Pro on my Desktop Computer. I have also installed Sage mobile to be used on my Android phone and synchronizing data with my desk computer. I would like to have ACT! 2011 Pro installed on my laptop computer to have access to my database when I am traveling on business. (I do have a home office network but no server) What would be the best scenario: Data sharing or Synchronization? Would I need an additional license or not?
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Pro: Sharing Database or Synchronizing?

Hello Jedi,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

For access to your database while out of the office, you will need to use the synchronization method (having a remote database physically on your laptop).  When sharing a database, once your laptop is disconnected from your network - you will no longer be able to access the database on the desktop computer.

Installing ACT! on the laptop and restoring a remote database onto it does NOT require an additional license.  You will install and register the installation of ACT! using the same serial number you used for the desktop.

Here is an article with instructions for creating a remote database:  KB Article 14116

Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Pro: Sharing Database or Synchronizing?

Different questions than original post - moved to its own post for greater exposure.