Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 Pro Error Message "Resulotion of the dependency failed..." (see below for complete error message)

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2011 Pro Error Message "Resulotion of the dependency failed..." (see below for complete error message)

Information for initial post

• Version:  ACT! 2011--I can't determine the version because I cannot open ACT!; however, it is a brand new reload from CD.
  • The issue doesn't involve MS Office
  • Database is on a local machine.
  • Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005  Version 2002  Service Pack 3  with most current security updates

What happened

• I reboted my machine, fired up ACT! 2011 Pro, and got the error message below.
  • I couldn't determine the version because I couldn't open ACT!.
  • I went into the KB and saw that fixes involved reloading the SP and latest HotFix.  However, I couldn't do these, if they were needed, because ACT! would not start due to the error.
  • The alternative mentioned in the KB was to delete ACT! and reload it.
  • I reloaded ACT!, which deleted the prior version as part of the relaod process.
  • I got the same error message and cannot open ACT!
  • What do I do to get ACT! operating again?
  • As I run both my business and my life off ACT!, it's imperative that I get it working again as soon as possible.
  • Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
  • The complete error message is as follows:

Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> System.Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.get_CustomCommandHandlers()
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.RestoreImagesToCollection()
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.LoadDisconnectedMenuToolBar()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeExplorer()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeApplication()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication..ctor(IUnityContainer container, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
   at BuildUp_Act.UI.ActApplication(IBuilderContext )
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerBase.Resolve[T]()
   at Act.Application.ActBootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()
   at Act.Composite.UnityExtensions.SimpleUnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean useDefaultConfiguration)
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChaChaChaChaz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Pro Error Message "Resulotion of the dependency failed..." (see below for complete error message)

Hello ChaChaChaChaz,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. Uninstalling/reinstalling ACT! is not usually the first thing to try when using version 2011 or lower. Most of the time it can be resolved by rebuilding your ACT! preferences file. Please see this Knowledgebase article for more information:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2586...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChaChaChaChaz
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Pro Error Message "Resulotion of the dependency failed..." (see below for complete error message)

Hello ChaChaChaChaz,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. Uninstalling/reinstalling ACT! is not usually the first thing to try when using version 2011 or lower. Most of the time it can be resolved by rebuilding your ACT! preferences file. Please see this Knowledgebase article for more information:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2586...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Greig,

Thank you for your prompt response and helpful article.

The article recommends, which of course is good practice, backing up the e-mail and database files.  However, owing to the nature of the error, I cannot open ACT! to perform these actions.  Accordingly,

• Is there a way to open ACT! despite the error message and perform these backup activities?
  • Failing that, is there a utility that would permit backing up the files in question without using the ACT! application?
  • Failing both of these, is there another method to backup and restore these files?

Thank you and best regards

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is an article with instructions to create a copy of the database without having to open the database: KB Article 23392

Greg Martin
Sage