Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 Premium wont open after SP1 install

ACT! 2011 Premium wont open after SP1 install

We have been using ACT for years. Ever since we installed the 2011 version it has run SLOW. Our marketing dept has been complaining about it taking forever to do anything. The server it is installed on is not bogging down and shows nothing excessive in the resource monitor. We do not use many of the features such as the outlook integration that I see many others have issues with. I decided to look and see if there were any software patches available. I found that the SP1 has been out for a while as well as several hotfixes.

I downloaded the SP1 for the correct 2011 premium, non web, US version. Followed the instructions and near the end of it installing an error pops up saying something about the outlook integration service failing or something. Sorry I did not copy the error message down. Then the install appears to complete successfully then pops up "Sage ACT! has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience." The only option at that point is to click Close.

The same error message pops up if you try to launch ACT!.

I have uninstalled Act! completley a couple of times now. Each time after the reinstall of the program it runs and opens fine. But when I try and go to install SP1 it gives me the same error. I have the antivirus disabled completley durring the install, as well as the firewall. Also I have all of the recommended programs closed. HELP! Thanks. I did several searches and came up empty.

Windows Server 2003

SQL 2008

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Premium wont open after SP1 install

Hello RedbudPT,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Please see your Private Notes

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg, thanks for the reply. I uninstalled act completley. Then reinstalled using the download link you sent. Now when I log on to the server three error messages pop up.

Act.Outlook.Sync

Act.Outlook.Sync has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Act.Outlook.Service

Act.Outlook.Service has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Sage ACT!

Sage ACT! has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The only option is to click close on each one. Also the Sage ACT! one pops up if I try to launch Act. Please note that I have not touched the SQL installation during all of this and that the antivirus/firewall were disabled during re-installation. Any other suggestions would be greatley appreciated!

Platinum Super Contributor

If none of workstations have been updated with SP1 the database should still be in the original build - so reinstalling with the original files would be a way to get ACT! working.  

Have you checked the Event Viewer for .NET (or other) errors?

Have you rebooted the server in Selective Startup?  (understanding that would have to be done outside of 'work' hours)

Another thought is possibly files/registry items left from previous installations of ACT!.  Is 2011 the only version that has been on this server?

Greg Martin
Sage