Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Premium Versions

Copper Contributor

ACT 2011 Premium Versions

Can someone please clarify this simple matter:

The 2011 Premium version has a "access from web" and "access from windows" file executable (to install the program).

If I want to at some access my database from the web, but am installing primarily to a Windows XP or 7 PC, which version do I install on the Windows PC?  It seems like the "web" version installs the client to Windows exactly the same as the "windows" version of the install file.  Would love some clarification on when to use each installable assuming I want to access my database from both Windows and the Web.  Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Premium Versions

The 'access from web' installation is meant for the computer that provides the connection to the internet, this can be a different computer or the same one that hosts the database. 

The 'acces from web' installation does include the regular 'windows' program, the only difference will be the addition of the features that allow 'access from web'.  And you will see that the program directory is 'c:\program files\Act\Act for web'.

The 'Windows' installation will be for workstations that will be accessing the database with the Act! program through a network (not through Internet Explorer).

For computers (workstations/home computers) that will only be accessing the database through the web (Internet Explorer), you will not install either programs. 

For an installation of the web version, your host machine's Operating System must be able to support Windows IIS (generally a 'Business' or 'Professional' version of the Operating System is required- 'Home' will not be sufficient).

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you Greg. Your post is very clear and answers my inquiry perfectly.

As a follow up to something you wrote... the computer that provides the connection to the internet and that hosts the database can either be the same PC or two different ones.

If they were two different PCs, how would that work?  I realize that the PC providing the internet connection needs to be running a Windows business class OS that supports IIS.  Fine.  But that PC running IIS doesn't have to have ACT on it?  Or are you saying the IIS PC has ACT for Web installed, but the actual database files can sit somewhere else?

For that last scenario, I would actually like to do that if possible... I would like to consider installing the actual database files on a Windows Home Server (files would be duplicated across multiple hard drives) while another XP Pro PC with IIS installed would run ACT for Web and provide the internet connection to the database.

Other desktop PCs on the LAN would run the "Access from Windows" version pointing to the database files on the WHS.

Mobile laptops would run local "remote databases" created from the ACT for Web PC.  The "Access from Windows" executable file would be installed on the laptops.

I would appreciate your comments as to whether this is feasible and the preffered way to deploy.

Platinum Super Contributor

These do get a bit confusing at times, but most of what you are asking is correct.  One thing to keep in mind is that the 'access from web' installation is simply the 'access from windows' program PLUS the integration with IIS (for the web access).  Excluding the web access portion, both programs are identical in functionality.

On the Web server machine (with IIS) - you will install the 'Access from Web' program.  It has to be installed to create the interface with IIS.  

You can host the database from a different computer/server, on which you will have to install the 'access from Windows' version. 

Unfortunately, there are differences in the Windows Home Server OS which may cause you problems with sharing the database.  There are other posts in the community where this has been attempted, but were not successful.  The Home Server isn't an environment we support.

When you create the remote databases, you will work from the computer that hosts the database.   You can create remotes through either the 'access from Windows' or 'access from Web' installations, the function is in both.

I'm happy to answer any questions, but you may find this link to the Web Admin's Guide helpful: KB Article 26795

As for a 'Preferred' way to deploy - it's really up to the user's discretion.  We see lots of installations with both setups (db on web server and db on other server).

Greg Martin
Sage