Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011/Outlook Contacts sync

ACT 2011/Outlook Contacts sync

Upgraded to Act 2011 Pro today, but cannot sync contacts and calendar between Act and Outlook 2007.  I get an error message "Contacts Sychronization Failed" while "getting contacts from outlook".  With Act 2010, I used Companionlink to sync contacts, which I have now uninstalled, since Act 2011 appears to have the same functionality, and even looks to be based on Companionlink.

Re: ACT 2011/Outlook Contacts sync

Additional info: Buttons active on the Outlook e-mail page are inactive on the contacts page: Attach to ACT Contacts, Create ACT contact, Create Act Activity, and Match email to ACT contacts and attach them.  The Sync Contacts with ACT and Sync Calendar with ACT buttons are active on the Contacts page, but result in the same error message I gave above.

Copper Contributor

I just installed 2011 as well on Server 2008 with 2 client machines running Win 7. I did not install SQL on the client machines. I'm having the same issues. The first process "Getting Contacts from Act" seems to run smoothly, the second "Getting Contacts from Outlook" runs the progress bar about half way before resulting in the error message of failure to sync.

Error logs show the following:

Error during contact sync.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Act.Outlook.Integration.OutlookContact.get_EntryID()

at Act.Outlook.Integration.Utility.GetOutlookContactList(ProgressService progressService)

at Act.Outlook.Sync.Common.ContactSynchronizer.SyncAllContacts(IConfigurationService configurationService)

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Any help would be apprecited. Thanks.

Copper Contributor

3 Hours on the phone waiting for "Support" and still nowhere. The last 1st level "solution" was to remove and reinstall with SQL on the client.

As I suspected, no change. Error occurs in the same place. SQL makes no difference.

May be going back to Companionlink while I look for a CM that does what it promises.

Bummer, three hours with support sounds like Act! 2011 has many issues, much the same as all previous versions of Act have had since Sage bought the program.

I am running stand alone, no servers involved.  I had a suggestion from another source regarding whether anti-virus was turned off for installation.  In my case it was not,but te installation program did not list this as a requirement.

You mentioned removing, then reinstalling.  Did this affect any of your settings from your prior version, or otherwise cause any issues with your database file?

Copper Contributor

No, virus software was unloaded for all installs and reinstalls. All the lates Windows updates are on system.

Copper Contributor

Success. A day with tech support yielded following. Possible corrupt Outlook.ost file. Attempt remedy in the following order. I did them all so I cannot tell you which one did the trick.

Run scanpst.exe (hidden file in Outlook folder) on your durrent Outlook.ost file - probably in your users folder

AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

The next step was to remove any Distribution Groups from the Contact records. You can sort the database when it is in phone view pretty easliy to find the Distribution groups.

If that doesn't do the trick then remove any attachments you have in your Outlook Contacts, followed by removing all of the categories. The easiest way to do this is to set up a view by category. The collapse all groups. One by one, drag each category group into the top category which should read Categories (none). Taht wipes out all category info from your Contact file. These last two steps may not be necessary if you still use these features in Outlook.

Hope this helps.

Sam

Thanks for the help, this must have been painful.

I will try the scanpst.exe, but removing distribution lists, and categories will render my outlook useless, as they are an integral part of how I work.

Hard to imagine Sage would have screwed this up, if we must complete all of these steps to make Act 2011 work.  I will either ask for a refund, or returning to using Companionlink, and wait for the forthcoming hot fixes.

Copper Contributor

Let me know if the scan alone does it. I had a sneaking suspicion though it was the distribution lists. Best
Copper Contributor

I just attempted to sync my contacts in my 2011 dB with my Outlook 2010.  It did sync;however, put them in my contact folder rather than my business contacts add in.  It also  blew up in the middle and and gave me a sync error message.