Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered

ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered

We have a customer that is using ACT 2011 on a number of pc's but one of these keeps prompting for ACT to be registered.  It is a Windows 7 pc, the user on the pc is heavily restricted, we had to login as network administrator to install the product, but product installed fine and registered.  The user works all ok for some time then all of a sudden it asks to be registered again, just doing the registration does not fix the problem.  This has happened 3 times since installation in June 2011.  The first time Sage dialled in and fixed the issue.  The other 2 occasions I have done the instructions from Sage Document ID: 14245, the section Damaged Windows System File always fixes it.  I have to login as the network administrator to do the fix, cannot do it logged in as the user.

There is another IT company involved with the network and they will not loosen the restrictions.  This is only happening on 1 pc though, it is the newest pc they have.

If anyone could give any further advice on this issue and possible cause of it I would be grateful.

Debbie Wood
Perrywell Computer Systems Limited
w: www.perrywell.co.uk
e: debbiew@perrywell.co.uk
t: 01789 774084
f: 01789 774085
Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Keeps Asking to be Registered

Generally I have found this is after a Windows update and I have never found a fix for the ones which are a problem even after a couple of years, especially if there are restrictions on the machine.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I am running Act 2011 on Win 7.  After using it for a year, now it wants me to register, but when I try to register, I get a dialogue box "We are unable to register Act."  I called Act registration, was given a link to Answer ID 13727.  I went through all of the steps in 13727, but nothing corrected the problem.

Can anyone help me on this?

Bert

Have a look at Answer ID: 14245.  There are numerous things to try on this document but I found that the issue I had was always fixed by following the steps under Damaged Windows System File.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Debbie

Debbie Wood

I'm having the extact same problem.  On indicator that you have damaged registration system files is in the registration steps.  If you know that you have put in the right serial number and it won't register via the internet, step back in the process and go to register by phone.  If the serial nuumber is correct and the phone registration does not give you a code back then there is a good chance your files are corrupt.

I would still like to know why I have to keep correcting these files on only one computer of the several that ACT! was installed on.  The suspect computer is a Lenovo thinkpad and is running Windows 7-64 bit.  He is an administrator on the computer and is running ACT! 'as administrator'.  I have a gut feeling this has to do with permissions.  Next time it happens I'm going to see which of the files, or both, are responsible.  I am using ACT!2010.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Davidt,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Please see if the information in the following Knowledgebase article helps to resolve the issue:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1424...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

David

I had the issue again on Monday 30th.  This time I didn't have to re enter the registration information, literally renaming c:\programdata\kgygaavl.sys to old and rebooting allowed the user in to ACT. 

In the past I have tried registering ACT physically logged on the pc as Administrator and this has made no difference, as I thought it may be permissions as the site has heavy restrictions. 

My next option is to create a new user profile and reconfigure and see if that fixes the issue.  My site is exactly the same, it is only one pc out 7 that has the issue, it is Windows 7 64bit.  It is ACT 2011 and I have patched it recently to the latest service packs and hotfoxes - v 13.1.111.0

Regards

Debbie

Debbie Wood

I have used this article 3 times now and the problem is fixed each time, but I don't understand why the issue keeps coming up.

Yes! This is definitety the same issue.  After deleting the sys files, ACT acted like nothing had happened and logged in without needing afore mentioned validation.

And again, on the same computer.