Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Importing Problems

Copper Contributor

ACT 2011 Importing Problems

[ Edited ]

I've spent about 7 hours between last weekend and today trying to import a database into ACT 2011, and have had trouble getting all of the records to import.  I've been using a database of 7000 as a test, and thus far, the most I've been able to get to import is 6000.  I've gotten as few as 900, I've gotten 4000, and it seems on some attempts that sometimes nothing imports at all.

I've disabled the duplicate checking, and have tried all of the different combinations of the merge options. 

The database has a handful of duplicates in it, but nowhere near 1000 (or even 100).

I've tried the following methods:

-  Importing from another ACT 2011 database.  This was a fully functional database, and  was converted form ACT 6.0.  It had the full 7000 contact records in it. 

- Importing from a text-tab-delimited database

- Importing from a text-comma-delimited database

- importing from an Excel spreadsheet.

If I import from any source, then delete the database, create another one and try again, ACT will not import anything - not a single record.  This seems odd to me.  How would a newly created database know that a previous database had attempted to import from the same text-delimited or Excel database.  I've tried this repeatedly, so this is not an isolated occurrence, at least in my case.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Is this a bug in the new ACT 2011? 

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Importing Problems

Note:  I just tried again.  I used a database that I restored that was created in ACT 2010.  This time, it imported some contacts, rather than none.  However, it stopped at 400 (the list contains 700 contacts), and imported only contacts starting with A through M.  The list does go thoruhg Z.  Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Copper Contributor

Thought I'd follow up here.

With ACT 2011, I could convert an ACT 6 database to ACT 2011 format simply by using the Open/Convert feature with no apparent errors.  However, if I tried to export that database to another ACT database, I was never able to get all of the contacts from the converted database to import or export (this was with the duplicate checking feature shut off).  Out of 7000, I would be able to get 4000 or 600 contacts to import, or often, none at all.

If I exported the data from the converted ACT 2011 database in a delimited format, if I tried to import it into another database, I would be able to import somewhere between none and 2000.

I tried using the maintenance tools on the ACT 6 database before converting it, as was suggested in the ACT knowledge base.  I reindexed the database.  I also used the ACTDIAG tool.  I then created an empty copy of the ACT 6 database, and did a Sync to create a copy of the database, as someone suggested to me.  The results with the cleaned up database were the same after I converted it to ACT 2011. 

I uninstalled ACT 2011 and installed the trial version of ACT 2010.  After I converted the ACT 6 database to ACT 2010, I was able to import all of its contacts into a new database.

I still am having trouble when I export those contacts into a text delimited database.  When I export those contacts, and import them into a new database, I don't get them all (usually 2000 or 3000 of 7000 will import).

I don't know if anyone else is having trouble with this, but I found that ACT 2010 seems to allow me to import and export contacts into another database, while ACT 2011 doesn't.  I'm going to use ACT 2010 instead of ACT 2011.

By the way, I was able to import a normal text delimited database into ACT 2011 (in other words, one that had not been exported from an ACT 2011 conversion of an ACT 6 database), with no errors.

I'm not sure what the problem is.  There could be some corruption in my ACT 6 databases that only appear only after it is converted into an ACT 2011 format.  If someone knows, please let me know.  If anyone is having similar importing/exporting problems with ACT 2011, please post them here.

Copper Contributor

Apparently a solution to importing problems in ACT 2010

Those of you who are really bored and have been following this thread to its scintillating conclusion will be thrilled to hear that I have found an apparent conclusion.

I originally tried to upgrade from ACT 6 to ACT 2011.  After experiencing numerous importing and exporting problems, I downgraded to ACT 2010 from ACT 2011, as described above.  When I did that, I could import and export the contacts from an ACT 2010 database that had been converted from ACT 6 into another ACT 2010 database.  I could not, however, export those contacts to a text-delimited file, and then import them into another ACT 2010 database and get even as many as half of them to import.

Today, I exported from an ACT 2010 database (converted from ACT 6) to a text-delimited file.  I then opened it in Excel, and entered 45678 into a field that was empty and that I never use in every field in the file.  I then saved it as a text-delimited file, and imported it into a newly created, empty ACT 2010 database, as a test, and all contacts imported.

It appears that modifying every record in the file changed it so it could be imported properly.  This did not work when I changed every entry in a given field while the data was still in an ACT 2010 database before I exported it, by the way.

I hope this helps some poor lost soul (like me) in the future.

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Apparently a solution to importing problems in ACT 2010

Wow!

That's some account.  I respect your tenacity and troubleshooting prowess!

Keep on!

I am experiencing the same issue. ACT 2011 Pro fresh default install. Create new database. Can manually create a new contact fine. Trying to import Contacts from Excel with a custom map. Everything in the import wizard checks out, the correct temp .txt file is created under c:\docs and setting\application data\Sage Software\ACT\ with all data in proper format. Press the finish button and nothing is imported. No error message, no warning, no log, no nothing to indicate anything. Just a refresh of the All Contacts listing and there are no new contacts. Tried all manner of database maintenance, hand creating data large and small using CSV, Tab Delimited, and Excel files, different users with differing permission levels, custom maps, default maps,... Nothing gives any different result. I was easily able to import "companies" instead of "contacts" using the same wizard and excel files. Perhaps that gives a hint. Hoping to hear from someone with additional knowledge. Is there some way ACT "remembers" an import (failed or otherwise) and then subsequent imports fail? Penny for your thoughts...

Bronze Super Contributor

For Sage ACT! 2011, this KB article may help, titled: Importing From a CSV File Does Not Import Data Into Contact Field

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2610...

Very impressive work with the trouble shooting AlanD.

I can confirm that I have seen all the problem that you are describing so well. The difference is that I have been trying to export databases from a source database in Act  to a goal database in Act. I am not importing from Excel or a CSV file. Is there an advantage by exporting contact information to Excel and then import them in another Act database versus selecting export in Act and then select the goal database?

So far I have merged three databases together. This is the method that I believe works for me.

1. Restore and upgrade source database to version 2011
  2. Backup goal database
  3. Enable duplicate settings in both databases.
  4. Export only "My Contact" from source to goal database
  5. Change new "My contact" to Administrator in goal database
  6. Disable duplicate settings in both databases.
  7. Run check and repair on source database
  8. Export all contacts from source database to goal database. Use correct "My contact" from source database as log on informatinon.

Copper Contributor

I was having exactly the same issues then I realised that the first field of the import file was the ID/Status field followed by the Company & Contact fields.  I moved the ID/Status field to the end & tried the import again & this time  it imported all records.  The trick is to have the first 2 fields of the import file as the Company then Contact fields

Tony

Copper Contributor

I have spent all evening trying to import records from Excel into Act 2011 Premium. I can get one file entered, with about 350 records, using custom field mapping. When I try to add the second file, nothing imports. The wizard appears to step through the same parts the first import did, but nothing happens. I still have the initial 350 loaded. I deleted all those contacts, and tried again with the second file loading first, with about 550 records. Again, all normal. But I then tried to add the other 350 via the same import process, and nothing is added. I am going to combine the two Excel files and try another import of the full 900 contacts, but my fear is I won't be able to add new ones in the future. And at that point, I won't have the option of merging Excel files because...... I actually intend to use the database, and it won't be practical to export, combine and reload the (then) 3 Excel files. From the looks of this thread, this has been an issue for while that really requires a fix.