Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Database will not open Help.

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2011 Database will not open Help.

I back up my Data base everyday and when I tried to open up my Act this morning it would not open. I manually found it to direct Act where to look for it but it still will  not open. I searched your Act Community and found on Windows 7 under the search programs option under the Start button I typed %appdata% and it says there is nothing there. What am I suppossed to do now?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Database will not open Help.

[ Edited ]

The most common reason for this with a local database is that the SQL Server service is not running. Try this:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Windows Start button, go to the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu, and type services.msc

- In the services window, locate SQL Server (ACT7).

- Right-click on this service and select either Start or Restart, whichever option is not grayed out

- Close the services window and open ACT!

If this does not resolve, then try the additional solutions listed in KB Article 19640. Note that some of the solutions only apply to shared databases.

If you do not see the SQL Server (ACT7) service listed in the services window, then follow the steps in KB Article 26994 to install it on your machine.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies

Hello Robert,
What happens when you try and open ACT!? Are you receiving an error message? Is the database your are trying to open local to your machine or hosted on another machine?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

When I open Act 2011 Pro it say this:

The database TRIFinancialGroup could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. Inmay be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

I did all that it says and it still will not open. I don't have a server it is on this computer. I even tired to open a Demo Database and it wouldn't open either.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

[ Edited ]

The most common reason for this with a local database is that the SQL Server service is not running. Try this:

- Close ACT!

- Click your Windows Start button, go to the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu, and type services.msc

- In the services window, locate SQL Server (ACT7).

- Right-click on this service and select either Start or Restart, whichever option is not grayed out

- Close the services window and open ACT!

If this does not resolve, then try the additional solutions listed in KB Article 19640. Note that some of the solutions only apply to shared databases.

If you do not see the SQL Server (ACT7) service listed in the services window, then follow the steps in KB Article 26994 to install it on your machine.

Greig Hollister

OKay I looked but it wasn't there so I am currently downloading it. My question is where would have gone? I just used Act yesterday.

Good question. SQL Server is an installed program, so it would have had to been uninstalled or forcibly removed.

Greig Hollister

Well after I did what you said I was able to restart the SQl server and everything works fine. Maybe it was either a microsoft update of my virus protection did something. But whatever it was all is good now.

Thank you for all your help.

Thank you so much for this post.  You saved me many hours of work.  I followed your directions and it worked!

HAd the same issue, and your answer worked for me as well! Thanks

Braggs

This solution is great! I am running 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4 on a toshiba laptop with Win.7, I seem to have the problem logging in once a month or so and this works every time! Thank you!!