Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2011 Database running on SBSC 2003 Server settings for Exchange server and files locations for email history access

ACT! 2011 Database running on SBSC 2003 Server settings for Exchange server and files locations for email history access

This is a financial services office setting, just starting up.

I have ACT! 2011 2 users Database running on my Pentium D Dell Optiplex 840 Server running Small Business Server 2003 and being accessed by 2 i5 Computers in the network running Windows 7 Professional 64b version. Installation on server and 2 computers went without glitches, I can access the database fine. Presently both computers are running independent Outlook pop email accounts which have not been connected to the ACT! database yet, because I want to switch to running the Exchange Server for email, for synchronization purposes with mobile phones - Android. Occasionally, one or both computers would be out of the office and I would access the database and Exchange server through a VPN tunnel. My need is for both users to be able to access and open the emails and all other documents in the history of a contact regardless which email account it was sent from and regardless of who created the documents that can be found in the history of a contact.

1. How does ACT! work with Exchange Server?

2. How do I set ACT! up to work with Exchange?

3. How do I set the Outlook Integration settings (in the Exchange environment) on both computers, in order have all emails to and from contacts attached to the history of contacts and where would be the location (Folder) of emails so that whenever one or both users are in the office or outside the office we can have access to all email (and other) history records ?

Needless to say, I would like to have all of that above residing on the server for backup purposes and for the catastrophic scenario of one of the laptops accessing the database being stolen or lost.

Can somebody help me with step by step instructions on how to do the above. I am an medium to advanced ACT! user and can follow instructions. I am not so good with the Server and Exchange stuff

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2011 Database running on SBSC 2003 Server settings for Exchange server and files locations for email history access

Ok...

ACT! does not work with Exchange.  It doesn't really "know" that Exchange exists.  ACT! talks with Outlook.  Think of it this way - ACT! is only interested in knowing about 2 things:  Telling Outlook to generate a new email and then recording it to contact history, or 2:  Saving an inbound email to contact history.

So what and how Outlook actually sends and receives emails means nothing to ACT!, ACT! only talks to the email "database" for the addresses and the content.

You will configure your outlook clients to deal with whatever email services - Exchange. POP, etc. - you need to, and ACT! is configured the same in all cases.

That's for emails.

If you want to sync contacts to Outlook and Exchange so as to get them on your phones, your best bet is probably 123 Sync which is specifically built to sync ACT! contacts to Exchange.

To automatically have ACT! save inbound emails, you will need to set up Outlook rules on your PCs to do this.  Do so carefully and test it.  Our experience is that this configuration causes Outlook to be unstable.

A better solution for the inbound stuff is probably to just select a bunch of emails in the inbox and click the Quick Attach button.  That way you can be more selective, and it really doesn't take much to do this.