Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 Backups Staging Location

ACT 2011 Backups Staging Location

Hello

I administer a server with quite a small C: drive.

ACT's database, all of its supplemental files and the scheduled backup location is the G: drive, but every night when the scheduled backup runs the backup appears to be staged to the C: drive before being copied over to the specified location.

This is contrary to all of the information I can find on these forums (1)(2).

Each nightly back is 13.4GB in size and growing. It won’t be long until the staged backup maxes out the C: volume, fails the backup and crashes the server.

At this stage I can't even determine where the temporary file is being written to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Davidson

alltasksIT

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 Backups Staging Location

Mark, to clarify,

your ACT! database is located on G:\{path}\DBNAME.pad

Which would mean you have a G:\{path}\DBNAME-database files\Backup\ folder.

This would mean the the temp location is G:\{path}\DBNAME-database files\Backup\ for the ACT! backup.

I'm not aware of it using the system %temp% or %tmp% paths to do this backup.

If your server is MS Server 2008 I'd say use Task Manager | Performance | Resource Monitor | Disk | Disk Activity to see which files are being written to (it'll show where as well) whilst an ACT! backup is in progress.

If it's MS Server 2003 I'd suggest one of the sysinternals tools (Diskmon or Procmon) to do the same.

That'll help you find what is actually eating up the drive space.

Ben.

[ Edited ]

Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply. The paths you have listed are correct for the installation in question.

I've finally had a chance to investigate this issue further.

When the ACT backup runs, it creates a folder in C:\windows\temp and then fills it with .tmp files.

From their size and number they appear to be a copy of the databasefiles\Attachments folder, although the file names do not match.

Temp Backup Files

I also have the output of Procmon listing the source of these files as Act.Scheduler.exe ...

ProcMon

After collecting this information I stopped the ACT Scheduler service and this folder stopped increasing in size.

I then renamed this folder and restarted the ACT Scheduler service, so I have a copy of the above files if additional information is required.

Mark Davidson

All-Tasks IT

Bronze Super Contributor

I'd be asking one of the Sage Staff to answer this...

If the ACT! Scheduler is set to put the backup on the G: I wouldn't be expecting it to land anything in the %temp% or %tmp% folders.

Sage? anyone care to chime in?

Bronze Super Contributor

Seems like it would make sense that the temp location selected would be a local location...

Otherwise, the back up process would be potentially pushing all this data around on the network and that would slow things down even more.

Was the orginal question that the ACT! back file was 13.4GB or that the Windows temp location had 13.4 GB of garbage in it?

Hi Scott

The G: drive in this case is a local disk partition.

Every night when the backup runs, the windows temp location fills with 14GB of data which is then purged once the backup completes.

The free space for this partition hovers around the 15GB mark, and is therefore dropping to 1GB free each night.

C Drive Free Space

Mark Davidson

All-Tasks IT

Bronze Super Contributor

That would be in line with what Ben is saying - the "temp" location that ACT! uses when creating a backup is the \Backup folder under the ACT! database's supplemental files...

So, if the database lives on drive G:\, this is the place that will contain the backup temp files while in process...

After the backup is done, is there any remaining files in the \Backup folder?  It should be empty, if not, you should be able to safely delete whatever is in there...

The graph above applies to the C Drive of the server, whereas the " \Backup folder under the ACT! database's supplemental files" is on the G Drive.

Mark Davidson

All-Tasks IT

Bronze Super Contributor