Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2011 ADF and ALF files will not backup or copy to another drive

ACT 2011 ADF and ALF files will not backup or copy to another drive

Hi

Recently upgraded to ACT 2011 from 2000 and it seems the only way to backup 2011 is thru the ACT 2011 interface and you get a zip file.  I use a backup software (Good Sync) for all my "data" which includes my ACT databse.  The Act2011 .ADF and .ALF files are the only files out of 10,000+ that will not backup to my external harddrive.  I get a "access denied" error.  I even tried just copy and past the files to the backup drive and I get another "access denied" error but this time its telling me that "access denied this file is open in SQL server ACT7"  ACT2011 is not open on my computer, cannot find SQL server ACT7 in the running processes to shut it down.  ACT2000 never gave me any troubles with backup.

I just want to simply backup my data everyday like a good boy.  I hate the zipfile backups.

Any ideas?

Matt

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2011 ADF and ALF files will not backup or copy to another drive

The SQL server ACT7 is a service and you won't find it as an application program. You would need to stop the service through My Computer or with ACTdiag to copy the ADF and ALF files. There are backup programs that are able to backup open files. The one I use is Genie Backup Manager Pro. Should you need to restore a database, the ACT! backup is the best to use because it includes all the relevant files such as layouts and templates. My suggestion is to setup the ACT! Scheduler to do the backups and then let you backup program backup the ZIP file.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

" My suggestion is to setup the ACT! Scheduler to do the backups and then let you backup program backup the ZIP file."

That is a great idea.  I will try that.

Thanks Roy

Copper Contributor

Roy,

I also use a program to back up my whole hard drive once a week, stopping the Act 7 SQL service before performing each backup. I'm curious, since the backup drive should be an exact clone, would act run properly without first having to restore one of the backed up Act zip files?

Thanks,

Rick

Platinum Elite Contributor

It should be all there but you have to know what and where to restore the files. The ACT! backup does that automatically.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I also do a daily Act backup (to the zip file).

My question is more out of curiosity. Under my weekly full drive backup scenario as explained above,(stopping the SQL Act 7 service before hand), would the cloned drive run the Act program without doing a restore of a zip file? 

In the few times in the past that I've tried it, the cloned drive will boot right up.