Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 with Office 2007 - Templates cannot be edited and saved. HELP!

Re: ACT 2010 with Office 2007 - Templates cannot be edited and saved. HELP!

I have a work around that might help.  Here is the step by step...

Click on "Write"

Click on "Edit Template" and then choose the template you wish to edit.  Make your changes.

Click on "Save as" (not save). 

don't change the name or the file extension "adt" ... Just save the file to a different folder other than the "templates" folder.

I made a folder on my "C" drive completely separate from the ACT folder  C:\ACT Templates

Save the file to that location and it should save as an adt file no problem.

Now, you can either use Windows Explorer to remove the old template and move your edited version to the Original Act templates folder or you can just leave the file in your new folder and when you need to use it you will  have to click a few times to navigate to it.

Either way, you now have edited your template and can use it.

Let me know if this works out for you.  I've been doing this for a few years now.  It's a hassle but it works.

Copper Elite Contributor

Your suggestion works.

We're using ACT 2011 and recently upgraded to Office 2010.  After the upgrade I noticed this issue.  Thanks for sharing your workaround.  It adds a few steps but it gets the job done.

P.S. We have to use Word rather than ACT Word Processor because AWP does something to graphics going out via email which some of our customer's email filters reject.  The best we can deduce is that ACT's SDK encapsulates the graphics as .PNG, whereas Word will send a graphic as .JPG without issue.

Astute Commentator

I have ACT Premium 2011, Windows 7, and Office 2010. This issue just recently became persistent.

In the past, instead of Save or Save As, I've just tried to exit out of Word, and when it pops up the "Do you want to save first?" box, I choose Save. It would work, and tend to keep my changes using this method.

Now, even when I exit out, Save, it gives me the "currently in use" error almost every time.

I was trying to delete a section of text from one template, and sort of found a pattern in that if I pressed the Delete key on the keyboard I would get the error. But if I, for example, highlighted the text and then typed a space (not using Backspace or Delete) then immediately saved it without even deselecting the text, it would let me save (after that single editing step).

There definitely seems to be a pattern that if you do multiple edits (I assume this is when Word creates a temporary file with the undo actions in it) then you get the "currently in use" error.

I'm just providing these details in case it helps the Sage programmers determine the cause of the issue.

Tuned Listener

I have experienced this issue.

I went in to the Windows File Manager. I noticed that the File Type for my ADP files was set to VLC.

I changed the Open With to Microsoft Word. I can Save. Everything seems to work.

You might give it a try.