Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 (v12) won't open. Please help

ACT 2010 (v12) won't open. Please help

Hi,

I've been running ACT 2010 (v12) on Windows 7. Everything has been fine. Looks like Windows did a critical update last night and today I can't open ACT. I click on the ACT icon and the usual small screen shows up and it goes through the checklist of opening, i.e. starting ACT, loading contact, and it also says "contacts loaded."  Then nothing.

When I toggle screens, the screen that the ACT database should appear on just has the shaking hands logo on it.

ACT is also showing up on the toolbar, but nothing loads when I click on the options, i.e. ACTDEMO, Contacts, etc.

I tried a system restore on my computer to restore to yesterday - it wouldn't restore. I tried to restore to 12/9/10 and my system did restore. BUT, ACT is still not opening.

There are no error messages.

Please help. Thank you!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 (v12) won't open. Please help

Hello VOGirlNYC,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. I know it's been several days since you made the this post - are you still unable to open ACT!? Any updates to your situation?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, Greig. After hunting around ACT!'s website more, I was able to chat with a tech support person. It took him almost a half hour to take over my computer and find the problem. In the end, it was called "bad preferences." No idea how I would ever have solved that on my own. The chat service was great. Wish I could say the same about the ACT! database.

Happy Holidays.

Hi,

I have the same issue however we are running Act 2009 v11. Also running Windows 7. Act works on other computers in the network and also works fine when logged into this machine as a different user. It must be something I am doing on my account on this machine but I can't work out what it is.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Hello newperson123,
The first thing you should know is that ACT! 2009 is not supported on Window 7. We have had some people use it on that O/S with success, but others have had issues. That being said, you can try disabling User Account Control (UAC) in Windows 7 and also make sure that Windows user is logged in as a Windows admin. Instructions to disable UAC in Windows 7 are in this KB article:
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the response.

No luck i'm afraid. It's strange because we've been using it for over a year now with Win 07 and there have been very minimal problems that a fix or an update couldn't solve.

This issue came about almost randomly. Last week it was working fine then Monday morning it wouldn't work. Only my "Act by sage" program on my Windows 7 acount wouldn't  work. Other users don't have the same problem. If I log off and allow another user to log on with their credentials, they can go into the program in any users name including mine and work without problem. I can't even get into the demo.

Just to recap on the problem, I can click onto the Act Icon and/or run from the start menu and it will allow me to enter my username and password. After the initial load up which includes loading contacts, the prgram will run almost as if it is in the background. It is visible on Task Manager but invisiable on my Desktop except for the icon on the Task Bar,

I should mention that very breifly, once While Act is loading, there will be a flicker on the screen, however I can't read what is says as it appears too fast. I'm sure this little flicker holds the clue to the problem but I don't get the opportunity to see what it say.

Thanks

If the program is running in the task manager, but you can't see it then it may be hidden, In the task manager, right-click on ACT! under the Applications tab and try Switch To, Bring To Front, or Maximize. The may happen if you have a large or dual monitors.

This may possibly be due to a damaged ACT! preferences file as well. See this Knowledgebase article on how to rebuild preferences - use the manual method described in the bottom half of the article:
http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770/kw/14770

Greig Hollister

I had the same problem and your advice to click "maximize" on the task manager worked.  THANK YOU!!!