Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 user name and password

ACT 2010 user name and password

When I signed in today to my ACT 2010 my user name and password didn't work. Any ideas how I can get this back working or restorted to my password and user name. I have the name and password but I keep getting an error message - could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password and try again. I know I'm typing it in correctly.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 user name and password

Hello smcl,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Just some quick questions:
Have you been able to sign into this same database with the same username/password prior to today?
Is this a multi-user database or are you the only user?
What happens if you just try the username and leave the password blank?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I'm having the exact same issue. User name and password aren't working. Tried leaving the password blank as well. Same result. "Could not authenticate user" Please help. This is ridiculous.

Hello bcato300,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. In regards to your issue, are you in single-user or multi-user database? Have you tried variations of your name for the username (leaving password blank)?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Single user. I've created a back up for my boss out of his pc, and restoring it to the database of his laptop. Just like always, nothing different. User name and password have always worked fine, but it's been a few months since last (it asks for user name and password when I restore). Simple question... How do I retrieve what it 'thinks' my password is... or how do I reset it?

...and yes, I've tried all possible variations.

The only way you can reset the password is from within the database. Can you open the original database (the one you made the backup from) on another machine? If so, then when you open the database, go to Tools>Manage Users. Then note the User Name for the login, then reset the password. You can then make another backup and restore that one. If this is not possible, then the only other way to reset the password is for ACT! Support to do it with an internal utility, which can be arranged if necessary.

Greig Hollister

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl...

On my Act 2010, I've created a database withOUT a password or username (single user db) and now is asking for them upon opening.  Similar with several databases.  I've read the forum and tried all combinations. Also logged on as administrator.     Any ideas? Windows issue? (Vista OS).   DB stored both on flash and hard drive - same result.   HELP!!!

Hello steveco111,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. A password is optional, but you most definitely have a username. This will typically be the same as your contact name in the database, unless you changed it at some point. Try variations of your name and leave the password blank.

I would also recommend that you disable User Account Control in Vista (if you have not already done so). You can do this from the User Accounts option in the Control Panel.

Greig Hollister