09-18-2013 04:32 AM
I have a Publisher database on my desktop PC and a Remote database on my laptop.
Sync was working fine up until recently.
The recent changes:
1) my desktop (WinXP) hard disk died so re-installed ACT but on a new copy of Windows 7 64-bit Pro.
2) did the backup and restore of the Publisher database on my desktop
3) and updated to ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 184.108.40.206, Hot Fix 1 on both Publisher and Remote databases
4) and added some fields to the Publisher database, which have been synced correctly to the Remote
a) contacts added in the Remote database do not get synced to the Publisher database
b) but contacts added in the Publisher database DO get synced to the Remote database
I only noticed after a while, so now there are 33 more contacts on the Remote than on the Publisher.
I have tried the following
i. ran ACTDIAG on both machines and done the first 5 rebuild activities
ii.. run check and repair on both machines
When I sync there are no errors, and the Remote sync log shows "Total records synchronised: 33"
which is the correct number.. but they just do not appear in the Publisher database.
The same happens how often I run this - so it is as if the Remote recognises that there are 33 different contacts and tries to sync.. but the Publisher never gets these contacts.
I do not want to create a new Remote from the Publisher as I will then lose these new contacts (with quite a lot of history).
If anyone has any ideas of other things I can do it would be much appreciated.
09-18-2013 05:52 AM
Apologies, I realise I got the heading incorrect: it should say in brackets (from Publisher to Remote)
i.e. the sync is only working from the Publisher to the Remote (only changes on the Publisher get to the Remote): any new contacts on the Remote do not get to the Publisher
09-18-2013 05:57 AM
Just checked; if a Contact already exists in the Publisher database and the Remote database then sync works both ways.. it is only new Contacts in the Remote database that do not get to the Publisher database
09-18-2013 07:25 AM
The easiest way to fix this is probably to create a new remote database. Create a new remote with a different name. Then open your old remote and create a lookup of those 33 contacts and export just those contacts and their associated notes and histories, etc. to the new remote.
09-18-2013 09:08 AM
Thanks very much for the suggestion and quick reply.
Before doing this, I have found out some other information: as well as my current laptop (which has the Remote database that will not sync properly), I have an old laptop also with a Remote database that DOES sync properly.
Looking further for differences between the databases, I find that the Publisher and working Remote are both on SQL Server 2005 Express Edition 9.00.4035.00 - SP3 but the problematic system has 9.00.5000.00 - SP4
I have no idea how my new-ish laptop got a lter version, i.e. SP4, particularly as my desktop with the Publisher database is quite a lot newer...
Not sure what to do about this, other than trying to install SP3 and see if this fixes the issue.
09-18-2013 09:49 AM
Seems like I finally found what the issue was - newly added contacts in the Remote database had one of the fields filled with 'NULL' by default (only happened on that Remote with SQL SP4).
Those with NULL from the SP4 database would not sync. (Although the contacts with NULL in that field, made with a Remote with SP3 did sync ok ..
So thanks to all those who looked..
No have to figure out why there is a NULL written in that field and stop it happening..
09-18-2013 09:50 AM
You will probably need to uninstall SP4 first. I think you can uninstall a Service Pack for SQL but I've never tried it. I'm not sure what I would do in that scenario but I think I would try upgrading all of them to SP4 first. That actually isn't true. The FIRST thing I would do is create a backup of the publisher database and your remote database and THEN I would try upgrading all of them to SP4. I suspect that you still might have problems with the sync though. Good luck!
09-18-2013 09:52 AM
Interesting. Not sure why that would be a problem for SP4 and not SP3. It might be the result of using two different versions. I always try and make sure that everyone is on the same exact version of SQL.
09-18-2013 10:26 AM
Thanks very much for the suggestion. I am not confident of being able to uninstall SQL SP4 on my new laptop without doing some damage to the ACT database; also I did try installing SP3 but it asked a set of options where I did not know which ones to select.
So I will probably leave SP4 on that machine and see what happens..
For that reason I will leave this post as 'Not solved' for the time being.