Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 search/lookup setup

ACT 2010 search/lookup setup

As you may have guessed by my handle, I am a recruiter.  I have used Sharkware for years as my contact manager due to it's simplicity in searching.  I could easily search for Salespeople in Boston who focus into Aerospace accounts for instance.

ACT 2010 has a massive amount of bells & whistles in comparison.  I can easily see where I can manipulate titles and certainly cities and states are incorporated, but where would I include vertical market focus (Aerospace, Medical, CPG, Retail, etc.) if I want to be able to search that parameter as well?  Department is available and I can change the values therein?  I typically only need three search parameters - where, what, and what market.  Also, once the data is input, how do I set up a search/lookup to get my answers?

Only looking for advice to save myself weeks of fiddling and tweaking...Appreciate any help.

Bronze Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 search/lookup setup

You're better off either changing one of the User fields, or better yet, adding a new field to the database and the layout to hold that "What Market" information.  There's a good article in the ACT! Knowledge Base that explains all of this:

http://tinyurl.com/2e9558r

Sage includes 10 spare fields, called User1 thru User10, for such purposes, and if you use them up, you can add more custom fields.

I would recommend you add a 'character' field with a Dropdown list that would contain the markets, like Aerospace.  If you find that candidates may specialize in more than one market, then you'll want a multi-select Dropdown, so that you can pick two or more markets for the field.  A new character field defaults to 50 characters in length - don't make them longer than you'll ever need because they take up space whether empty or full.  So in your case, if a candidate never specializes in more than one market, the field should be long enough (with some wiggle room) to hold the longest name from among the markets.  If, on the other hand, the candidate may specialize in several markets, the field should be long enough to hold the 'worst case scenario' of the combined lengths of the most markets they might conceivably specialize in.

As the Knowledge base article also explains, adding a new custom field to the database does NOT automatically add it to the layout so that you can see and use it - if you're using ACT! 2010, upon closing out Define Fields, you are asked if you want to modify the layout - you should say yes.  In prior versions, upon closing out of Define Fields, you need to go into Tools, Customize Layouts, Contact Layout and add the new field yourself.

Good luck!

Signature

Re: ACT 2010 search/lookup setup

Thanks...That should save me a lot of time.