Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 on a MacBook Using Parallels - unpacking database error

Astute Commentator

ACT 2010 on a MacBook Using Parallels - unpacking database error

I installed ACT 2010 on a MacBook using Parallels and Windows XP.  ACT install and upgrade to latest version (12.1.181.0 Hot Fix 1) went smoothly.  I cut a remote database from my Windows 7 machine and moved it to the Mac.  When I tried to unpack and restore a remote database at the end of the process I get an error:

A file activation error occurred.  The physical file name '\\.psf\Home\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 12\Databases\RayVAPG.ADF' may be incorrect.

Since the ADF file was created and is in the above path I tried to open the ADF file and got an error message:

ADF Files must be on a local device.  Files on mapped or shared drives cannot be used.

Astute Commentator

Re: ACT 2010 on a MacBook Using Parallels - unpacking database error

I found this KB article and tried both suggestions but still getting the error.

Error: "A file activation error occurred. The physical file name '<name>' may be incorrect..." When Attempting to Unpack and Restore an .RDB Using Parallels®
Question
You are attempting to restore an .RDB file on a computer using Parallels Desktop for Macintosh® when you receive the following error: "A file activation error occurred. The physical file name '' may be incorrect. Diagnose and correct additional errors, and retry the operation."
Answer
This issue affects individuals using Mac Parallels who have configured settings to "share" their files with their Macintosh O/S and Windows® O/S environments. To resolve this issue, you can:

1. Disable the "Shared Profile" option in the Parallels environment. For more information, please view the following guide: Shared Profile Settings

--or--
2. Move the RDB file to your "My Documents" location on the C:\ drive on the Windows O/S side, then restore from there. In addition, ensure to unpack and restore the RDB file to the "My Documents" folder from the C:\ drive.