Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT 2010 lookups are slow

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Re: Quantifying the slowness

I refresh my db (db maintenance) several times a day and have been since installing 2010.  I just purged my cleared activities - something I've never done so it took several seconds to clear the thousands of activities.  Using a different db?  I only have one db and wouldn't know where to begin to do that.  Thanks for the tip on purging the old data though - hopefully that will help.
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor

I wanted to post to this thread with the hopes it makes it higher in the queue for investigation.  I am seeing serious issues with performance when clearing activities.  All that has been recommended has been done.  Recently we did an upgrade for a client.  It was from 2008 to 2010.  They are very good about clearing activities and removing old data.  First off, when they went to clear an activity it would open the ACT Email client and then show an hour glass to remove the entries.  I switched them from using the ACT email editor to Outlook.  launching email went away but still can take up to a full  minute to clear a simple activity.  We tried it on another database - same thing.  This now makes four clients that are experiencing this issue.  All four are on hotfix 3.
Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Highlighted

i had 1 gig ram on my last computer, the act 2010 program just ate all the resources and was so slow things took 30  - 40 seconds to happen,  i had one act tech support guy try and work my system directly online, it froze fro him..

i got rid of the 1 gig computer, i have one with 2 gig ram and it works fien now..

in a few weeks i will be runnign windows 7 and 4 gig ram and i hope the whole system just works fine again..

dont believe the specs for act 2010!!!    YOU NEED 2 GIG ram for anything to operate well

Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Sage will post the minimum system requirements, as well as what is recommended.

The truth lies somewhere between because in operating systems and hardware there are many x-factors.

Yes, 1GB of RAM is sufficient to run ACT! 2010 with a decent P4 processor, but the operating system, database size and number of users, anti-virus, video memory, hard disk speed, and other TSR applications will all determine the over all performance of the system.

In my experience, Windows XP with 1.5GB of RAM is more than sufficent to run ACT! 2008-2010. Substitute VISTA into that equation, and I'd recommend at least another 1GB of RAM to adequately run both.

I've been in IT for over 15 years, and RAM has never been cheaper than it is now. Spend $30 per 1GB of RAM and max out your system's memory capability. You'll enjoy a dramatic improvement in overall computing experience, and ACT! will work as it's intended.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Highlighted
Platinum Elite Contributor

The main thing to understand about the ACT! program is that it has always been an I/O bound program rather than a process bound program such as graphics programs or games. Thsi dictates the minimum desirable specs as opposed to the minimum stated specs.

The most overlooked specification is the most important, the hard drive RPM. I recommend a minimum of 7200 RPM, 10,000 RPM is even better. The biggest problem is thatmost laptops come with 5400 RPM hard drives unless special ordered. The jury is out on solid state hard drives, they read fast but many write fairly slow. Because the ACT! program does a lot of writing to the hard drive, check the write speed specs on a solid state hard drive before spending the extra money.

System RAM is next and it depends on the operating system. For XP, I recommend a minimum of 1G RAM and for Vista, Windows 7, 2G. More is always better, faster is better.

Virtually any processor today has more than adequate power for the ACT! program so I don't recommend spending extra to get a bleeding edge processor unless you have other software that makes it appropriate.

One final system recommendation, max out the swap file for the best performance.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Some good points in what you have mentioned Roy.  Act has been running fine on my system after the hotfix 2, but I did recently upgrade my hard drive for more space and as you said it has the 7200 RPM and it also had buffer memory of 16mb compared to my old drive of 8mb. So either of these or the combination did just speed things up slightly again.  I was running under Vista with 2 gig of ram, now have Windows 7 with the same amount of memory. 

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

The Hotfix 4 seems to have helped speed up the look-ups and stopped our system from freezing - but, hasn't been too taxed recently so time will tell. 
Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Hot Fix 4?  is this for Act 2010?  I knew there was a hotfix 3 but hadn't seen a 4 as yet.

Highlighted

i just realized how fast i typed earlier in a post and how bad the grammar was, and i agree on act being a very high resource thirsty program. Especially if used with antivirus and programs like outlook and with low speed hard drives.

this is what i will be using from next week

ASUS N61VN-JX053X NOTEBOOK

Product Information 

PI DATE : Oct 2009

CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Mobile Processor Q9000 2.0GHz

RAM : DDR3 1066 2G x 2

STORAGE : HDD: 500GB HDD 5400rpm

STORAGE : ODD: Blu-Ray Combo

LCD : 16" LED

CHIPSET : Intel PM45

VGA : NV GT240M / 1G

NETWORK CONNECTIVITY : WIFI: Intel 802.11 b/g/n

Bluetooth : Yes

ACC : 6 Cell Battery

i noticed even with a core 2 quad cpu they will only give the laptop a 5400 rpm hard drive

i am certain that the system will fly regardless, and be capable of dealing with MS office and a simple antivirus program as well as act 2010

i find the sytem i have right now, with just 2 gig ram still a litttle slow, but at least i can actually work day to day in my business.  i struggled for a month and could barely work, act 6 and now act 2010 is the hub of my business, and after upgrading from a really excellent version 6 to act 2010, i found the program was brutal and killed my system resources to the point where i could not operate the business at all.. the last thing that happened was there were error messages coming up and the ability to print was completely impossible. so  i was forced to ditch the computer totally and hire a short term computer whilst i wait for the arrival of a new laptop that i feel may be powerful enough to actually mamnage to run act 2010.. it has windows 7 installed so i am keeping my fingers crossed it may actually work out.

i didnt think a simple upgrade would cost me a month out of business and many thousands for a new laptop..

act 2010 has way to many features that i cant use, i wish i coudl thin it down and have it run as a super efficient contact database and letter writing program,  i dont need all the marketing attachments at all..

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Yes, Hotfix for was for 2010, see below - I downloaded it last week and it has helped.

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4

I agree with the last comments - Act 2010 has cost me a huge amount of time/money!!

I also agree it has way too many features I don't use.  It seems to me Sage may not know who it's customers are - or maybe what was once the right product for me no longer is....