Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 install issues

ACT 2010 install issues

[ Edited ]

I have been having issues installing ACT! 2010 on some, but not all of a clients computers. I have two Windows XP machines that are showing the same exact issues. Both machines are desktops one with duo core CPU, one with P4, both machines have 2GB Ram.

I have logged about 4 hours with Tech 1 and 6 hours with tech 2.

The issue is that after ACT 2010 is installed the computer freezes up soon after Windows boots up. The computer worked flawlessly with act 2006 that was previously installed.

The tech 2 technician figured out that the issue was with the Microsoft.net framework 2.0, he repaired it along with SQL and cleaned out registry issues, etc. He also removed .net 3.0 and 3.5 sp2. This seemed to fix the issue...

I do not see any programs that need .net framework 3.0 or 3.5 sp2 so I set Windows update to not install these updates and left the computers thinking that the issue was fixed.

About 20 minutes later I was called back into the office with complaints that both computers had frozen again. I rebooted them and everything seemed to be ok... until 10-20 minutes later both machines had frozen again.

Nothing else has been installed/removed/changed on these machines so act 2010 must be the reason for the malfunctions. I cant get back on with tech support until Jan 4 (personal reasons) so I figured I would post my issue here. Any help would be appriciated as my client is a quite upset and I would love to finish the installation asap

Thank you,

Eric

[Content edit: please keep language courteous and clean]

Message Edited by ghollister on 12-23-2009 06:14 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 install issues

If you look at the Windows Event Viewer under "Application", are there any error messages that coincide with the machine locking up? Also, were the users working in ACT! when the lock-up occurred?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: ACT 2010 install issues

Thank you for the response, Greg!

To see the event veiwer I have to reboot into Window Safe Mode. When I get to it I find a dozen or so errors related to SQL server and .net framework. I cant give you the exact messages right now but if you would like them i can get them to you as soon as I can get back in front of the machines.

The machines seems to freeze regardless of if ACT is running or not.

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer!

Regards,