Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 has suddenly become slow to load and slow to respond when switching from one view to another

Copper Contributor

ACT! 2010 has suddenly become slow to load and slow to respond when switching from one view to another

I have reviewed the Knowledge Base for a solution to no avail.

ACT! 2010 has been running with no problems until yesterday. Now it is slow to load and slow to respond if I switch from one view to another, such as, from contact list view to contact detail view. Another issue is that if I click on File, its drop down menu box content is not visible. The only thing visible is a partial outline of the box itself. To make it visible, I can click Edit, whose menu box contenct won't be visible either, then move my cursor to File. When I do that, the File menu is normal. It doesn't matter what I click on in the menu bar, they all react the same and clicking one then moving the cursor to the desired one always works.

I tried rebooting my PC, which didn't help. The only changes I have made is to import an old ACT! 2000 database.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 has suddenly become slow to load and slow to respond when switching from one view to another

Hello 1dannyg2,
Open your Windows Task Manager and go to the Processes tab. Is there a high CPU usage? Does ACT! (ActSage.exe) use a lot of CPU when you switch views? Are there other processes that are using a lot of CPU while ACT! is running? One possible cause could be a damaged ACT! preferences file. See the section in the bottom half of the following Knowledgebase article for instructions to manually rebuild that file:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1477...

Another possible cause could be low graphics memory on your machine. You can attempt to resolve this by lowering or turning off hardware acceleration. The following KB article provides instructions for this (even though it is for a different issue):
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1836...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 has suddenly become slow to load and slow to respond when switching from one view to another

Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.

CPU useage is running around 10 - 15%. RE " low graphics memory on your machine", I've done nothing to change hardware acceleration with the exception of the installation of iTunes yesterday. Just in case there is some sort of conflict between it and ACT!, which I doubt, I'll uninstall it and try ACT! again.

As to rebuilding preferences, that sounds pretty daunting. I'm hopeful uninstalling iTunes will resolve the issue, even though I'm doubtful.

Thank you again.

Dan

Copper Contributor

Greg, I ended up running a Restore Point. As it turns out, I had some other issues as well. Running the Restore Point seems to have resolved the issue.

Thank you again for your prompt help yesterday. Have a great weekend.

d