Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 features: Synchronization with iphone

Tuned Listener

ACT 2010 features: Synchronization with iphone

I subscribed and paid for this early bird offer and I am waiting now for September to be able to download this new upgrade (I use still ACT 2008)

I read somewhere on this early bird page, that ACT 2010 will be able to synchronise with the iphone. What exactly/ which fields, how many notes, history etc. will be synchronised and how will it be done (over outlook or directly)?

If this works well, I would switch probably from my Palm TX (lovely machine) to the iphone, just to have one gear less to think about while travelling.

Has anybody more information about this iphone sync?

Thanks in advance

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 features: Synchronization with iphone

The info I've seen about iPhone says that it will require an additional purchase.
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

GLComputing wrote:
The info I've seen about iPhone says that it will require an additional purchase.

mmmhhh

what kind of additional purchase? A product of Sage? For which price?

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 08-02-2009 05:27 AM

Sage announced they were doing one, but the beta had so many issues it's been put back.

Currently there's a link from CompanionLink and one in development from Handheld Contact

Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:

Sage announced they were doing one, but the beta had so many issues it's been put back.

Currently there's a link from CompanionLink and one in development from Handheld Contact

mmmhh

I used Companion link years ago. Was a good product. Especially the price tag is very interesting.

Companionlink is offering 2 different products for the iphone sync. Wireless and via usb cable connection:

http://www.companionlink.com/products/iclink.html

http://www.companionlink.com/products/iphone-wired.html

But I do not know whether this will be a good idea, because it depends on Outlook. So if Outlook handles things in certain ways, the amount of data we can get from act finally on the iphone depends a lot on Outlook's capabilities.

I would prefer a SAGE-solution with a direct transfer like for the palm...

Handheld Contact is direct and wireless. I also don't like sync via Outlook as it limits the types of data and is prone to causing duplication of data.
Tuned Listener

GLComputing wrote:
Handheld Contact is direct and wireless. I also don't like sync via Outlook as it limits the types of data and is prone to causing duplication of data.

The problem with Handheld contact is that it is VERY expensive. They offer 2 different subsription options, with which you have to pay annually either 99 USD for the basic type or 360 USD for the full featured type. I would never buy a product, for which I have to pay constantly again and again to be able to us it.

They offer also a very limited free version (they call it "entry"), but you only can sync contacts, not activities etc. So this is basically worthless.

No, then I would be rather willing to test Companion link via Outlook.

But At the end of the day, if Sage wants to have ACT as a longterm success, They have to offere something themselves for free for the iphone. Sales numbers of teh iphone are too big. It is teh same as with teh palm. At the beginning  they did not offer anything for teh palm until they realized, that they hurt their sales,without this syncoption...

The prices you quoted are AU$, not USD ... it's cheaper in US - http://www.handheldcontact.com/about.php

The Sage product was also wireless and would therefore be a subscription based solution as is CompanionLinks's wireless solution.

Actually, ACT! supported the Palm pretty much from the start - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/history-of-act.html

The Palm OS has pretty much been killed off by Palm - http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2008/12/sage-to-discontinue-act-for-palm-os.html

Also, Handheld Contact Professional is the only solution that handles custom activity types, activities/histories linked to multiple contacts, view and schedule activities for other users, up to 76 fields (with pull-downs), support for ACT!'s field types (check boxes, dates, etc) and can create histories from phone calls, sms and emailson the phone. It's pretty good value if any of those functions are useful to the user.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Handheld Contact is a good but expensive option. They have promised a version for iPhone but it is a long time coming.  It seems that the recent offers by Handheld contact for the lower spec versions are in reaction to Companionlinks improving wireless option at US$10.00 per month and the new Google Sync alternative. Looks like pda wireless sync will see genuine competition and more options. Wait a while is possibly good advice.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

GLComputing wrote:

The Sage product was also wireless and would therefore be a subscription based solution as is CompanionLinks's wireless solution.

Hi

I did not know that the original plan from Sage was to offer only a wireless option and also only as a subscription method. Both would be a "no go" for me.

I know that wireless sync has sometimes some advantages. But I just do not need it really. USB sync makes me already happy, needs less battery power, has less error potential etc. pp. Since I travel internationally a lot, there is no true wireless connectivity possibilty anyway.

I am a dinosaurier regarding software usage. I like to buy a product and like to own it. Then it is my decision whether I want to upgrade or leave it like it is etc. This is also why I do use i.e. gdata for virus protection/firewall etc.instead of Bitdefender. I buy software. I do not want to rent it Smiley Wink

So let's wait and see what Sage will offer us. Companion Link is at least an option which already exists in real live, which works and which offer both options and you can choose whatever you prefer Smiley Happy

Message Edited by snoopy5 on 08-02-2009 03:02 PM