Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010, empty copy of database

Astute Commentator

ACT 2010, empty copy of database

I am using ACT 2008 Standard on Windows XP.  I created an empty copy of my database.  I sent it to a co-worker who just installed ACT 2010 on a VISTA machine.  When he opened the database it was validated just fine but every time he tries to open it ACT says "This file is in use.  Please find the program....and close it".

Any idea what's going on?

Astute Commentator

Re: ACT 2010, empty copy of database

He is able to open the Demo database without problem.  Why would there be a lock on the empty copy I sent him? 
Bronze Super Contributor

Perhaps the message is not correct and instead it has to do with UAC or some other security setting(s) in Vista...

Try having him run Act! as an administrative user - right click the Act! icon and select 'Run As Admininstrator'.

Try turning off User Access Control.

Try disabling Antivirus and firewall (be sure network connection is shut down first to be safe)...

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello rab5649,

When he attempted to open the 2008 database in ACT! 2010, did he get a message that the database needs to be updated? You said that it was "validated just fine", but I'm not sure what you mean by that. Since he is opening a database created in a lower version, the first message he should be getting is that the database needs to be updated to the newer version. Also,  as Scott suggested I would have him disable User Account Control (UAC). Instructions for this are KB Article 20220.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Astute Commentator

Yes, the database was updated (not validated).  I have forwarded your suggestions to my associate and will let you know what happens. 

Thanks to both of you for your help.