Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 causing IE script errors?

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2010 causing IE script errors?

Hello everyone,

A coworker in the office is currently suffering through frequent IE script error popups when she uses ACT! 2010, particularly when doing any lookup or using keyboard shortcuts. Even if no other programs are running, even IE [no instance of iexplore.exe is running in the Task Manager], this error will be produced. Attached is the popup:IEerror.png

She's running on Windows XP, fully updated and ACT! 2010, Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 5.

I've looked through Google and through these forums for anything, however anything that has to do with IE usually gets pointed to the Web Edition which is not the case here. Your help would be MOST appreciated!

-Hashi

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author hashisayed
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 causing IE script errors?

I logged in as myself and lo and behold, it worked fine. I'm running this problem concurrently with another forum which explained that I should try clearing out the preferences manually to see if that would fix it. I switched the preference files he mentioned with the preferences files created when I logged in and got into act for the first time and it works like a charm.

Here are the files I was told to essentially remove [I backed them up in a folder]:

The files were all here:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ Act for Windows <version number>

Vista/7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows <version number>

NOTE: The "ACT for Windows <version number>" folder is renamed "ACT Data" in ACT 2011

• Preferences Folder
  • preferencesBak.xml
  • preferencesBak#.xml , where # is a number from 1-9
  • DependentDlls.xml

I put these files and folder into a folder in the same directory, ran ACT, opened the DB and the error is now gone.

This is such a relief! Thank you all for your assistance in all of this!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Hashisayed,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Haven't seen this issue before, but to verify your issue:
- The user has Sage ACT! installed, they are not accessing the database through Internet Explorer - is that correct?

- What version of Internet Explorer is installed?

- Have you tried disabling the Sage ACT! add-on within IE?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the response! I highly appreciate it.

Yes, the user has Sage ACT! 2010 installed, and accesses the DB through the ACT! application. Internet Explorer 8 WAS installed, which was when she started having this issue. She said it started shortly after having installed Chrome and the Google Toolbar [thanks to Java updates]. I uninstalled Chrome and the toolbar, then I rolled back to IE 7 with no difference. We've also reinstalled Sage ACT! with no change.

The Add-ons [there are two of them] were both disabled when I checked. I've enabled both. It'll take a while for me to get updates from her about the pop-up, so in about an hour or so I'll be able to try disabling/enabling them in all combinations.

Edit: we've also reinstalled ACT!, just in case you needed to know that.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hashi,
The only other elements I know of that may try to access the Internet are the Welcome Page and the Web Info Tab. You can try disabling these:

Web Info Tab:
- Tools > Design Layouts > Contact
- Edit > Tabs
- Move web Info Tab from the right side to the left
- Save layout
Note: this will remove the tab from all users accessing that layout

Welcome Page:
- Tools > Preferences > Startup tab
- Ensure startup screen is something other than Welcome Page (i.e, Contacts, Contact List)
- Close ACT!
- Browse and open to the ACT! installation directory. By default this is:
32-bit operating system: C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows
64-bit operating system: C:\Program Files (x86)\ACT\Act for Windows
- Locate the Home folder and rename it to "Home_OLD"
- Restart ACT!

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I wish I could tell you that worked. She's informed me that the pop-up almost always occurs when she performs a lookup. Hope that helps!

Platinum Super Contributor

I would have guessed the Web Info tab was the culprit... to see if it is caused by data within the production database (possibly a contact's web site), open the demo database on that workstation and perform some lookups - same issue?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

No! No issues with the demo database! It had to update the DB first, but it works fine. So, if there is some web-related info in the DB, what would I look for to weed out? Or is that the wrong way about it?

Platinum Elite Contributor

This issue is looking specific to the user/machine/database. If she logs into ACT! as a different user, does the issue occur? If you install another web browser and make it the default browser, does the issue occur?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author hashisayed
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

I logged in as myself and lo and behold, it worked fine. I'm running this problem concurrently with another forum which explained that I should try clearing out the preferences manually to see if that would fix it. I switched the preference files he mentioned with the preferences files created when I logged in and got into act for the first time and it works like a charm.

Here are the files I was told to essentially remove [I backed them up in a folder]:

The files were all here:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\ACT\ Act for Windows <version number>

Vista/7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ACT\ACT for Windows <version number>

NOTE: The "ACT for Windows <version number>" folder is renamed "ACT Data" in ACT 2011

• Preferences Folder
  • preferencesBak.xml
  • preferencesBak#.xml , where # is a number from 1-9
  • DependentDlls.xml

I put these files and folder into a folder in the same directory, ran ACT, opened the DB and the error is now gone.

This is such a relief! Thank you all for your assistance in all of this!