Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 & SQL Server 2005 Express

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2010 & SQL Server 2005 Express

If a workstaion that is running ACT! 2010 by Sage is going to exclusively access a centralized database on another computer (server), does the worksation need to also have MS SQL Server 2005 (Express) installed or only just the computer that will be acting as the server?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author shadowmancer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 & SQL Server 2005 Express

Because it's also used by parts of the email functionality, it needs to be installed on all systems.

On a machine not hosting a database and not using ACT! Email client, you can set the SQL service to Manual after install if you need to conserve resources.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author shadowmancer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Because it's also used by parts of the email functionality, it needs to be installed on all systems.

On a machine not hosting a database and not using ACT! Email client, you can set the SQL service to Manual after install if you need to conserve resources.

Copper Contributor

GLComputing wrote:

Thanks! Your recommedation worked. I was also wondering if some aspects of the sql server can also be disabled on the computer hosting the database? The user on that workstation doesn't use Outlook nor the ACT! e-mail client. These are the sql services that are running on the host computer:

sql server (act 7)

sql server browser

sql server vss writer

sql server active directory helper

My employer plans to get a more powerful computer to run ACT! 2010 but until then, I trying to conserve resources on his computer.