Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Slows Down and Freezes Sporadically

ACT 2010 Slows Down and Freezes Sporadically

I'm evaluating the 30-day demo of ACT 2010 on my PC and have noticed that ACT frequently slows down/freezes. Whenever I try to open various menus and context menus, click buttons or fields, perform searches, or do practically any task within ACT, the program freezes up for about 30 seconds and is unresponsive. After ACT unfreezes it works fine again. I have not found any particular sequence of commands that consistently causes this error, but virtually any sequence of commands has the potential to cause this problem. I would estimate it happens every three or four minutes. Whenever this happens, Windows Task Manager reports that act is using between 95% and 99% of my CPU. 

Some Specs on my PC:

Windows XP Professional SP3

Microsoft Office 2003

ACT 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4

Intel Celeron D 3.33 GHz CPU

880 MB RAM

160 GB 7200 RPM HDD

I have also tried running ACT on a faster PC with more memory and a different configuration but run into the same problems. I have noticed that the freezing is significantly better (possibly non-existent) when I'm running the demo database. I've tried running the various database repair tools in ACT! Diagnostics, which have speed up my performance somewhat, but the problem still occurs.

Any ideas what's wrong with ACT? Any potential fixes?

Tuned Listener

Re: ACT 2010 Slows Down and Freezes Sporadically

We've notice the same problem at times in our office.  Sometimes it's a factor of the size of your mailbox.  If you are a meticulous person who keeps your Inbox cleaned up, that might help.  Also, I believe the recommended base memory to use ACT 2010 is 1GB of RAM, so you might need to add some RAM.

Christine Kearns, Office Manager

Perhaps it has something to do with the amount of RAM then (although I believe the other computer I've tested it on has 1GB+). Under the system requirements, Sage says that ACT requires 512MB and recommends 1GB.

I haven't done anything with email yet in ACT and I only have one or two messages in my inbox anyway so I doubt that's the problem.

Update:

I've found that repairing the database (Tools -> Database Maintenance -> Check and Repair) significantly improves the problem. However, ACT still freezes every 30 minutes or so and always does this within the first minute or two of opening the database.

I just installed ACT on a newer PC with 4 GB of memory and found that ACT performs much better. However, I am still getting regular CPU spikes. Anyone else have any ideas?

Platinum Super Contributor

Having also read another post you submitted - that referenced activities...  here is some background information:

When the Act! database first opens, in the background it will run through special programming that scans your calendar for outstanding alarms and activites to roll-over (activities set to 'Timeless').  When there is a large number of activities to process the Act! program can appear frozen/sluggish until this background process has completed (usually in 1 to 2 minutes).

Along this same line, if you have a large number of activities scheduled on the same day - every time you access a view of that day (calendar) - the Act! program must refresh it's information to display and can again appear sluggish.

While this doesn't 'solve' the issue, I hope that it helps to understand what may be happening.

Greg Martin
Sage

Having also read another post you submitted - that referenced activities...  here is some background information:

When the Act! database first opens, in the background it will run through special programming that scans your calendar for outstanding alarms and activites to roll-over (activities set to 'Timeless').  When there is a large number of activities to process the Act! program can appear frozen/sluggish until this background process has completed (usually in 1 to 2 minutes).

Along this same line, if you have a large number of activities scheduled on the same day - every time you access a view of that day (calendar) - the Act! program must refresh it's information to display and can again appear sluggish.

While this doesn't 'solve' the issue, I hope that it helps to understand what may be happening.

Greg Martin
Sage ACT! Online Community
Sage
REPLY:  I'm in the software world and that my friend is known as a design flaw. SAGE obviously did not design a program to run on anything but a server environment yet it sells a system purported to run easily on  a single desktop instance..