Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Restore Database

Copper Contributor

ACT 2010 Restore Database

I recently had a hard drive crash and had to replace the drive. Fortunately - or so I thought - I had been performing regular backups to an external drive. I replaced the heard drive and reinstalled ACT 2010. When I try to restore thew backup, it says the backup has to be installed on the same machine that made the backup. It is the same machine only a new hard drive. I've checked and performed all the items listed in the knowledge base and am now out of ideas. I thought the purpose of doing backups was so that the datatbase and associated files could easily be recovered should a hard drive fail. Has anyone els had this issue and how do I get to install the backup? There are over 5000 contacts in the database so manually rebuilding it is out of the question. ANy assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 Restore Database

Copper Contributor

Mike,
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I tried the save as option with the same result. I used the Act removal tool and reloaded the software as well as made sure it was upgraded to the same version and hotfix as when the backup was made. I've also checked to ensure the SQL server is running. I've looked up in the knowledge base all I could find on the issue and tried every suggestion - to no avail. It seems to me this is a serious flaw in the software. Do you have any other suggestions?

Not Save As use the Restore As option under Restore Database.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Roy,
I'm sorry, it was very late and I had been trying to restore the database for several hours. It was the Restore As function I was using in the Restore window.

And what happened when you did that?

The "Restore" button going to the same machine, "restore As" is when restoring to a different location
Copper Contributor

Mike,

I finally figured it out. I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3 with automatic updates turned on. Since ACT was running OK on the system with the previous hard drive, I decided to look a little deeper into what may have been automatically updated since I installed the new HD. I saw that .Net Framework had been updated to 3.5. Apparently, ACT 2010 does not like .Net Framework above 3.0 SP2. Once I removed .Net 3.5 and did a manual uninstall of ACT 2010 (reference Answer ID 25179) the Restore went well using the "Restore As" function as you and Roy had suggested. Thanks for your responsiveness, I really appreciate it.