Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 Problems on Windows 7 64-bit - Resolution of the dependency failed

ACT! 2010 Problems on Windows 7 64-bit - Resolution of the dependency failed

On 14 July 2011 I got this error while trying to run ACT! on my notebook computer:

Resolution of the dependency failed, type =
"Act.UI.ActApplication",name = "". Exception message is: The
current build operation (build key Build
Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed:....

I have a notebook computer that is about 16 months old.  I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.  It appears that Microsoft installed 4 or 5 Windows 7 (operating system) updates on 13 July 2011 so I'd like to blame Microsoft.

I'm pretty sure that I WAS running ACT! by Sage 2010 (Version 12) SP1 before my ACT! broke.  I can uninstall ACT! using Windows, reinstall ACT! using my install disks.   And then ACT! works but I'm only on ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3.  When I install the SP1 update I immediately get the "Resolution of the dependency failed, type =..." error again.

I did the install from disks as an Administrator and I did the SP1 update install as an Administrator. 

I want to get my ACT! up to SP1 because I synchronize with another computer that is running ACT! 2010 SP1 and I think I'll need to be running the same update level of ACT! on both computers to make all this work.

Any ideas?

I appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on this problem.

Rick Powell

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 Problems on Windows 7 64-bit - Resolution of the dependency failed

Hello Rick,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here is an article with steps to resolve the 'Resolution of the Dependency' issue: KB Article 25865

Greg Martin
Sage

Re: ACT! 2010 Problems on Windows 7 64-bit - Resolution of the dependency failed

I appreciate the referral to Knowledge Base article 25865.  I found that article online yesterday.  From reading that article it sounds as though the author(s) of that article really did not understand the problem very well.  Perhaps this error is a generic sort of error that occurs in ACT! and perhaps the author(s) don't really know much about ACT!

The "Run as Administrator" suggestion indicates a flaw in the ACT! software.  I am hopeful that this suggestion does not come from the folks who actually do the programming for ACT!-SAGE.

The "Manually Rebuild ACT! Preference Files" suggestion is so complicated that it again suggests a serious flaw in the ACT! software.  I also sounds too dangerous.  It sounds like this process could potentially cause damage to other important data sets and programs on my computer.

I will reinstall the Tahoma fonts on my computer to see if that makes a difference but it seems ridiculous that a corrupt or missing font file would cause a fatal error to ACT!.  Again, perhaps you can pass along to the ACT!-SAGE software developers that they might want to invest some time really figuring out and resolving this problem.

Thank you for your KB referral.

Rick Powell - Phoenix, Arizona