07-25-2011 09:55 PM
On 14 July 2011 I got this error while trying to run ACT! on my notebook computer:
Resolution of the dependency failed, type =
"Act.UI.ActApplication",name = "". Exception message is: The
current build operation (build key Build
Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed:....
I have a notebook computer that is about 16 months old. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit. It appears that Microsoft installed 4 or 5 Windows 7 (operating system) updates on 13 July 2011 so I'd like to blame Microsoft.
I'm pretty sure that I WAS running ACT! by Sage 2010 (Version 12) SP1 before my ACT! broke. I can uninstall ACT! using Windows, reinstall ACT! using my install disks. And then ACT! works but I'm only on ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3. When I install the SP1 update I immediately get the "Resolution of the dependency failed, type =..." error again.
I did the install from disks as an Administrator and I did the SP1 update install as an Administrator.
I want to get my ACT! up to SP1 because I synchronize with another computer that is running ACT! 2010 SP1 and I think I'll need to be running the same update level of ACT! on both computers to make all this work.
I appreciate hearing from anyone with experience on this problem.
07-26-2011 06:00 AM
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!
Here is an article with steps to resolve the 'Resolution of the Dependency' issue: KB Article 25865
07-26-2011 07:58 AM
I appreciate the referral to Knowledge Base article 25865. I found that article online yesterday. From reading that article it sounds as though the author(s) of that article really did not understand the problem very well. Perhaps this error is a generic sort of error that occurs in ACT! and perhaps the author(s) don't really know much about ACT!
The "Run as Administrator" suggestion indicates a flaw in the ACT! software. I am hopeful that this suggestion does not come from the folks who actually do the programming for ACT!-SAGE.
The "Manually Rebuild ACT! Preference Files" suggestion is so complicated that it again suggests a serious flaw in the ACT! software. I also sounds too dangerous. It sounds like this process could potentially cause damage to other important data sets and programs on my computer.
I will reinstall the Tahoma fonts on my computer to see if that makes a difference but it seems ridiculous that a corrupt or missing font file would cause a fatal error to ACT!. Again, perhaps you can pass along to the ACT!-SAGE software developers that they might want to invest some time really figuring out and resolving this problem.
Thank you for your KB referral.
Rick Powell - Phoenix, Arizona