Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 Importing problem - missing contacts

ACT! 2010 Importing problem - missing contacts

Hi,

I have ACT! 2010 installed on my PC and I am trying to import a large amount of contacts into the database and I ran into a serious problem. There are more than 2000 contacts that must be imported, and for some reason ACT! imports only 551 contacts out of those 2000. That problem occurs only when I deleted the system fields called 'First Name' , 'Middle Name' , 'Surname' and created custom fields that can be edited (that are unlocked). I tried increasing the character length limit that is set for each field, but that doesn't seem to work either. I tried many things, but unfortunately nothing is working.

Any ideas? I really need those fields to be editable/unlocked.

Regards,

V.D. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 Importing problem - missing contacts

Hello V.D.,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. For the import you will need to map to and import into the system fields First Name, Middle Name, and Last Name (not Surname). After the import, you can lookup the contacts you just imported in (using the Import Date field) and then go to Edit > Copy Field to get the data from the system fields into your custom fields.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Hello Greig,

I tried that, but unfortunately when I go to "Edit > Copy Field" the field names 'First Name' , 'Middle Name' , 'Last Name' were not in the drop-down list.

Regards,
Vince

Hi again,

I think that it is a software bug, because I've tried everything that I could think of including the change of mapping, new fields (used 'Contact' and 'Salutation' fields which lead to 1749 contacts being imported out of more than 2000) and running the 'Check and Repair' function which didn't really do anything.

This is a real shame because I really think that this software would benefit the university for which I am working for, but unfortunately with this little glitch in the software a complete migration can't take place.

Do you have any other suggestions? The deadline of this project is next week, so I would really appreciate if this is resolved. It would benefit both Sage and the University.

Kind Regards,
Vince
Platinum Elite Contributor

If not all contacts are importing into your current database, one thing we have people try is to create a new database with the appropriate fields and see if you can import all contacts into that. If so, then import the contacts from the new database to your current database. Also make sure that some contacts are not being filtered by your duplicate checking settings.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.