Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 - How to Sync 2 People Who Upgraded from ACT 6

Tuned Listener

ACT 2010 - How to Sync 2 People Who Upgraded from ACT 6

In ACT 6 two of us shared a database.  I had the main database (with all contacts) the other person was a user of the same database but had access to only a limited amount of contacts (his sales territory).  It worked will.  He had his contacts on a different computer and we just synced via network folders.  I would like to repeat this same setup but in ACT 2010. However, I am not sure how to do it in ACT 2010 and what order it has to be done in so my setup with the other person with limited record availability stays the same.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 - How to Sync 2 People Who Upgraded from ACT 6

The syncing is no problem. When sync is setup, the sync set for the remote user can be all or part of the database. However, if the limiting record access is critical, you will need to get the premium version of the ACT! program and use the limited access feature.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Using Sync... you can use sync sets (same as with 6.0) - not need for Premium

The sync set isn't secure, the remote can add contacts from the main database to their database by adding them to the sync set. For security limited access is needed.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Gentlemen, your comments are really appreciated but it is not really what I need to do. I need to sync two users which have upgraded to ACT 2010 and which have "history" between them on ACT 6.  I am specifically referring to syncing 2 or more people who have now upgraded to ACT 2010 from ACT 6.   How do you keep all the settings as to who got allocated what contacts (territory) and who has the "main" database. 

So for example 2 people now upgrade. One was the "main" database with all contacts.  The other was the remote user on a different computer which had only a limited amount of contacts (which was his territory).   So now both upgrade.  How does the main database setup a sync with the remote database with only the limited contacts.  Not sending more or less then was originally set up in ACT 6? And in the process not loosing the changes that ocurred since the last sync in ACT 6?  In addition, how does the remote database setup a sync with the main database without getting all the contacts, but just his limited contacts (which are his territory).  A step-by-step of how to do this with 2 people upgrading at the same time would be very appreciated.

What you seem to want to do can't be done. You will need to consolidate all the data into one database and then convert that database. Then you can setup synchronization. The publisher database would have all the data and you would then create a remote database. As part of the process, you will create a sync set for the remote database which can be all the contacts or a subset of the publisher database. However, the sync set is not secure and the remote can add other records to his sync set after synchronization is set up. In other words, the remote can see a list of all the contacts in the publisher database even though the actual records aren't in their remote database. If complete security is required you would need the premium version of the ACT! program which has a limited access feature that determines who can actually see all the records. You may want to discuss your requirements with an ACT! Certified Consultant.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

How can I consolidate the data if it both users have already upgraded to ACT 2010?  I do have a backup copy of the database in ACT 6 of the remote user who has both ACT 6 and 2010 on his computer.  The main database has already been used extensively in ACT 2010 so there is no going back for that one.  It would be nice if Sage laid out all of this BEFORE you purchase the upgrades.

What do you mean the remote user can see the whole database?  How can this be if he has been given limited access to only a portion of the main database.  To what extent can he see the other data?  I can not believe that Sage is so stupid to do this without clearly mentioning it before a person upgrades.  I updated a regular version to a regular version and I expect the same functions. If the regular version has this gaping hole, then it is useless to me and for most people who work in a group. Wow I can’t believe it!

Let's get one thing clear, there isn't any way to sync two preexisting ACT! 2010 databases, this has been true since ACT! 2005. You can combine the two databases by importing the one into the other.

The standard version of ACT! 2010 doesn't have any access security beyond Public/Private. The premium version has a feature to have some users see all the contacts and other users see only the contacts they have been assigned. In synchronization setup there is a thing called a sync set which is the contacts that are initially placed in the remote users database. The remote user, in the synchronization panel, can see a list of all the contacts in the publisher database that he has access rights to. With the standard version of the ACT! program, that's all the contacts in the publisher database but in the premium version, contacts he doesn't have access rights to would not be in the list. The remote user can add other contacts that he has access rights for to his sync set .

If you need access security then you need the premium version. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Well, it would be nice to know all of this up front BEFORE we spend all that money.   To have proper security, do you need the Premium version on both computers or only the computer with the main database?