Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT!2010. Error message when trying to define a new field

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

ACT!2010. Error message when trying to define a new field

I converted from 2009 to 2010 and I am just noticing the following issue. I am trying to define a new field, but when I click "FINISH", I get the following error message

"Column names in each view or function must be unique. Column name 'HOME_PHONE' in view or function 'FNR_CONTACT' is specified more than once."

I want a 'Yes/No' field but I have tried to create other types of fields but get the same error message. Any ideas how to fix it?

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 2

Microsft Windows XP, SP 3

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
JRL
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT!2010. Error message when trying to define a new field

For what it's worth, I resolved the missing fields by exporting, then importing, with a 3rd party import tool, MergeAdmin:

http://www.asdscomputer.com/

There is a limited trial copy available. This thing just worked.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

I have tried a couple of more things but I am still getting an error message when trying to delete a field.  Note that these fields are only listed in the 'Contacts' and not in any of the other listings (Groups, Companies, Opportunities or Products).

I have determined that about 3 years ago I created several fields for Contacts that are similar to ACT!'s default fields. 

DEFAULT FIELD                 FIELD I CREATED 3 YEARS AGO             NAME CHANGE TODAY

Home Phone                       Home_Phone                                            zzz001

Home Address                    Home_Address                                         zzz002

Home State                        Home_State                                             zzz003

Home Zip                            Home_Zip                                                zzz004

Home Phone                       HomePhone                                             zzz005

I probably created these similar fields 3 years ago when I was learning how to create/customize the fields within ACT!.  Although the fields are similar to the default fields, they are different since ACT! should not let you create two fields with the same name.  The ones that I created added the underscore, except for the last one where I eliminated the space between the two words.

After changing the field names of the five fields listed above to "zzz..." today, I tried deleting one of the fields but the same error message appeared: "Column names in each view or function must be unique. Column name 'HOME_PHONE' in view or function 'FNR_CONTACT' is specified more than once."

I rebooted the machine and tried again: still got the same error message.

I installed Hot Fix 4 (because it was available, not because it said it would fix the problem) and the same error message appears when I try to delete one of the "zzz..." fields. 

It is interesting that the old name "HOME_PHONE" still appears in the error message even though I have changed the field name to "zzz..."

As of today, I am now at: ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 4

Message Edited by jimsorenson997 on 01-22-2010 08:37 AM
Tuned Listener

Another thought:  Not being able to delete the five unused "zzz..." fields is not the real issue because I can just ignore these fields.  I really need to be able to add NEW fields but I am getting the same error message whether I try to delete or add a field.

JRL
Copper Contributor

I am seeing the same thing (different field but same message), also after an upgrade from ACT 2009 to 2010. Like you, I can't delete fields either.

We first started seeing this error when running ACTDIAG, in the OLEDB2.0 subsection. This was after the upgrade, before adding fields. After adding fields things have gotten worse - remote users can't sync any more.

ACT's tech support gave me a list of things to "try", they claim to not have heard of this error.

Nothing so far has worked.

We are going with paid 3rd party support next.  

I have the same problem when trying to re-define a field as number rather than decimal. Please help. This needs to be fixed.
JRL
Copper Contributor

Paid support did the trick (Cornerstone Solutions - 713-661-5200 ).

Basically the advice was to copy the old DB to a new DB. Of course the details are more complicated than this - we wanted to preserve some of our custom fields, etc.

I put over 40 hours into this, and still didn't have a reasonably complete DB. Susan Clark at Cornerstone was able to complete the port for me, now we have a working database. It would have been far cheaper and faster to just pay Cornerstone to do the whole thing. Lesson learned!

Still having a problem with attaching files to records that had .dtf files attached before the ACT2009->2010 upgrade. Does anyone else see this?

Tuned Listener

I am a one-man-show, so paying a consultant is probably not a viable option due to lacking a budget.  However, do you mean that you should have had Cornerstone do the whole migration to 2010 or just fix the problem after you already migrated the data to 2010?
JRL
Copper Contributor

I'd have had Cornerstone do the fix. The upgrade was simple enough, basically just run the software and press the upgrade button.
Tuned Listener

Can you share how much you paid for the fix?  If you do not want to publicize that on the forum, you can always send me a private message.

This is a fair point, but why should we pay extra for consultants when it is the software we paid for that went wrong?