Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 - Duplicates not being found when importing CSV file

ACT 2010 - Duplicates not being found when importing CSV file

I'm starting a new database by importing contacts from a csv file.  My first import went fine but I realized that I missed one field that I needed.  I added the field to my CSV and mapped it during the next attempt at the import.  I choose to Merge duplicates during import, verified Duplicate Checking was enabled (on Contact, Comany, e-mail) and imported the same contacts a second time.

The new fields showed up as I expected but I got an exact duplicate (except for the new field) of the contact record.  I tried the import a third time and now I have three contact records, all with the exact same records.

I then goto Tools  | Scan for Duplicates and this works- it finds the duplicate records and asked me how to act on them.  So I know that duplicate checking is enabled correctly and working.  It just doesn't seem to work during the import process.

Any advise?

Thanks in advance,

rbender

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 - Duplicates not being found when importing CSV file

Thanks for the reply.

I tried importing again, the fields are mapped properly, I choose to Replace with Source if duplicates are found.  When I import, I keep getting exact duplicates of the records previously imported.  I now hove four entries for "Mark Hitchcock" with exactly the same fields (address, e-mail, phone, company, etc).

I run "search for Duplicates" from the Tools menu and the duplicates are discovered and I can resolve them.  I just can't figure out why the import process doesn't identify them as duplictes (during the actual import).

I didn't see anything in the KB article but I could be missing something.

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.  I appreciate it.

randy

I have the same problem and this is very annoying.

I cannot use the merge duplicate tools as i have duplicate contacts in my database that i want to keep. Sometimes 4 persons that have 4 different postal addresses so i cannot run this tools.

The merge tool would be useful if we can use it on a particular look up but it seems we cannot.

My problem is that we are working with an agency that send us evry month a list of updated contact. To avoid looking line by line what changed, the import .csv should be very useful.

However it import contacts agains and i have duplicate...

I really need to find a way to fix that, this is not acceptable...