Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 DB install on Windows 2000

ACT 2010 DB install on Windows 2000

Good afternoon,

I have a client who is upgrading from ACT 6.0 to ACT 2010.  His main server is a Windows 2000 host with AD.  This server host currently has the ACT 6.0 DB shared on it.  My client's users have WinXP, and don't ever use the server to manage ACT!.  Is it possible to install just the Database on Windows 2000?  According to Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4 is supported.  I don't have access to install or media right now so I'm not sure if I can just do a DB install off the ACT! media.  Any help will do.

Regards

Sandro

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 DB install on Windows 2000

You can't, the ACT! program along with MSSQL and the .NET Framework must be installed on the server.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Are they're any major issues I should worry about placing the DB on a Windows XP or Vista PC?  We're only 5 users.

It would be bat if the computer was not also used as a workstation. You would want 3 gig ram on XP  and at least 4 gig on Vista ( preferably 6) and make sure the hard drive is at least a 7200 RPM drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy,

Really thanks for your help.  I was able to dig up a Dell PC for us to install a fresh copy of XP Prof SP3 on.  THe PC has 3GB of memory, a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz and a brande new 1TB 7200rpm drive.  The PC will only act as a "server" with 3 other ACT! PC's making calls to this specific PC.  I'm hoping you think this will be sufficent for a small accounting office.

That should be good for you.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi again Roy,

I was looking on the steps neccessary for my customer to upgrad from 6.0 to 2010.  They plan on downloading the upgrade 5 workstation bundle tomorrow.  Do you know the difference between the upgrade and new user installer? 

There isn't any difference. The upgrade is a special pricing for present owners of a previous version of the ACT! program.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129