Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Cannot restore database after hard drive crash

ACT 2010 Cannot restore database after hard drive crash

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

The hard drive hosting the database went out.  We have several general backups of the C:\ drive, but do not have a database .zip file created using the backup utility from ACT!

I have located the .pad file (which I can edit per instruction on the support site), and the xxx-database files folder, but can't locate an .adf file.  

Since I need to open this on a different computer (the backup files are on an external hard drive), how do i go about assembling all the pieces?.

Nickel Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 Cannot restore database after hard drive crash

You would need the adf and alf files (typically these WILL NOT backup using standard windows file copies as they are locked by SQL. But if you can locate these, remove your pad file and open the ADF file.
Travis Rosevear ACC for
Act Today Australia and New Zealand

Re: ACT 2010 Cannot restore database after hard drive crash

Grrrr....They should put in big, flashing red letters a warning that backing up all your computer data does not, in fact, back up anything useable for ACT!  

I have an older ACT! specific backup with the .adf and .alf files, but the data is older. 

Is there any way to combine those so I can actually open the database with the newer data?