Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2010 Auto-Attach from Outlook only works on outgoing emails

ACT 2010 Auto-Attach from Outlook only works on outgoing emails

I'm running ACT 2010, updated to the latest version.  After my initial installation, I followed the instructions for setting up the rule in Microsoft Outlook (I'm running Outlook 2003) to auto-attach emails to History.  For a while, both incoming and outgoing emails were correctly attaching to the proper contact.

Something changed a few weeks ago, and now only the OUTGOING emails that I send are being attached.  I can use Quick Attach to manually attach the incoming ones, but that's a pain to remember.  

I have checked the Act.Outlook.Service program to ensure it's running, I have watched the progress and checked the log to see what happens, and the rule never even attempts to send the email to the Act.Outlook.Service utility.  

I've confirmed that the rule is configured correctly, the History is not set to Private, and the rule is pointing to the correct address book and ACT DB.

Any suggestions on how to revive the Auto-Attach on incoming emails?????

Thanks!!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: ACT 2010 Auto-Attach from Outlook only works on outgoing emails

Since the 'auto-attach' and 'Quick Attach' functions are working, it shows that the proper Act! pieces are in place for recording email history.   Have you tried creating a new Outlook rule?
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks for the quick response, Greg.  Here are a few of the things I've tried:

* Yes, I have deleted and recreated the Outlook rule to no avail. 

* I've also removed the ACT Address Book from Outlook and re-added it. 

* I tried manually running the rule on a few messages and it did not process any of them.

* I even tried removing the criteria of the sender being in the ACT Address Book

I'm wondering if I need to go into the Windows registry and mess with it??  It seems like something has gotten corrupted with the "action to perform" portion of the rule.

Thanks again.

Platinum Super Contributor

Before going into the registry, try running 'Detect and Repair' on Outlook, found under the Outlook Help menu.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks, Greg - I hadn't thought of that.  I tried the Detect and Repair, but after it ran I still had the same problem.

Do you know what the ACT registry entries are supposed to look like in relation to the Auto-Attach?  I found the following section in the registry: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ACT\OutlookCustomActions\

This appears to be where ACT stores the rules.  I cleared them all out and tried to re-create the rule (which did create a new entry there), but still no joy.

Any more thoughts?

Bronze Super Contributor

I would be careful about how much time you spend on this.

My experience has been similar with Outlook rules.  Even if you get it going again, there is an extremely high probability that the failure will only occur again.  I think it has more to do with Outlook and the rules engine than with Act!.

Don't forget you can select multiple emails at once to use Quick Attach, this minimizes the value of the auto-attach rule to a great extent.

Thanks, Scott.

I do have a follow-up system in place to mark the emails I need to go into ACT, and I can do that if needed.  It was so nice to not have to double-check and think about doing that, though!

I may do some poking around Google about Outlook Rules not running.  If anyone else has done the same and found anything, please reply!

Thanks again, Scott!

Elliott

MoZ
Tuned Listener

We have come across this issue on a number of occasions and can offer the following solution:

Within the Outlook rule when you are at the stage of 'Select Custom Activity' - i.e. attach to ACT Address book, click on 'Change' next to the Action Value box and specify what you would like to do with the ACT Email history.

You should find that whereas before making the change there was no value present in the Action Value box, now there is!

Test to confirm this works.

Moshe

Lateral Solutions

ACT Accredited Partners

http://www.latsol.co.uk

+44 208 731 0840

Thanks for the idea, Moshe!

When I go to the Outlook custom activity area, there is already a value in the Action Value box - obivously some form of hexademical code.  I've tried deleting the matching entries in the registry and re-creating the rule from scratch, but the new Action Value doesn't seem to fix it.

Elliott

MoZ
Tuned Listener

Hi Elliott,

Have you tried changing the entry for the Action Value box from within the Rule itself rather than directly through the registry?

I would recommend trying this unless you have already been this route?!

Best of luck,

Moshe

Lateral Solutions

ACT Accredited Partners

http://www.latsol.co.uk

+44 208 731 0840