Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2010 Address Book Crashing Outlook 2007

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT! 2010 Address Book Crashing Outlook 2007

I've been using ACT! for about a year, and use it as my primary address book with Outlook.

Everything's been flawless until the beginning of this week. I started getting an error in Outlook, "Outlook cannot display this view," and then get the message on EVERY folder in Outlook. I thought for sure that the problem was somewhere in the outlook.pst file and ran the Inbox Repair Tool, compacted the .pst file, and created a new Outlook profile, more than once.

Last night, I did the above steps, and then went to add my ACT! address book to Outlook, and it crashed. I removed it and then Outlook was fine. It seems like it's the ACT! address book that's the problem since I can now make the problem come and go by adding and then removing the ACT! address book.

I found an article about improperly formatted email addresses causing this problem and scanned ALL of my ACT! contact email addresses. I found a handful of problems (less than a dozen), fixed them, and tried again, but it's still crashing Outlook.

I don't have a clue as to what to do next and am at my wit's end. Please help!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author MadDog
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2010 Address Book Crashing Outlook 2007

After spending well past 20 hours trying to ge this fixed, I believe I have this fixed. The steps I ultimately believe worked were as follows:

1) Exported outlook.pst file, using File, Import/Export, in Outlook.

2) In Outlook, created new profile, with new .pst file.

3) Imported outlook.pst file from Step 1, using File, Import/Export, into new .pst file.

Outlook now seems to be functioning perfectly. I'm hoping this is the ultimate fix.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Contributor

I've had a similar issue and I had to delete the reg. keys and reconfigure email setup in ACT.

Please refer to the kb article http://tinyurl.com/ydhjrks

Copper Elite Contributor

"Just" deleting the keys and reconfiguring fixed it? Looks kind of complicated, but if that will work, I'll give it a go.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Don't be intimidated by the registry editor. All you have to do is find the keys (as outlined in the kb article) and setting email preferences is an easy process.

Like I said I experienced similar issues with my outlook, did that, and havent experienced problems since.

Copper Elite Contributor

OK. I have to leave for a most of the day meeting, but I'll try to get to this sometime today.

Thanks!

Copper Elite Contributor

OK. I just tried this. I teleted the Outlook Address Book keys 1, 2, & 3 as described in the article, and then ran the Email System Setup Wizard in ACT!

SAME problem. As soon as I add the ACT! address book in Outlook, it crashes on startup. As soon I remove the ACT! address book, it runs fine.

Any clue as to what to try next?

Copper Elite Contributor

This morning I ran maintenance on my database, backed it up, and then uninstalled and reinstalled ACT!, and STILL have the same problem as soon as I try to attach my ACT! address book to Outlook. I'm at a loss as to what do or try next.

Can someone please help with this? Thanks.

Solution
Accepted by topic author MadDog
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Elite Contributor

After spending well past 20 hours trying to ge this fixed, I believe I have this fixed. The steps I ultimately believe worked were as follows:

1) Exported outlook.pst file, using File, Import/Export, in Outlook.

2) In Outlook, created new profile, with new .pst file.

3) Imported outlook.pst file from Step 1, using File, Import/Export, into new .pst file.

Outlook now seems to be functioning perfectly. I'm hoping this is the ultimate fix.

Copper Elite Contributor

It's been about a month now and I've had zero issues, so this is what fixed the problem for me.

Maddog,

Appears as if I am running into the same issue you have solved.

I haven't made any registry changes.  Would the export, recreate Profile, Import fix the problem, or am I missing steps here?