Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 vs. ACT 2010 and aol vs. outlook

ACT 2009 vs. ACT 2010 and aol vs. outlook

I have ACT 2009 less than a year.  Why does it cost so much ($99 at Amazon) to upgrade?  I use Windows 7, is it worth the upgrade?  I'm an individual user, not a business.  Does ACT 2010 for Windows 7 allow me to use AOL instead of Outlook for email?  Does anyone know if a new version of Outlook is coming out, I heard the last was 2007.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 vs. ACT 2010 and aol vs. outlook

While ACT! 2009 is not officially supported on Windows 7 (ACT! 2010 is), we have not had an major issues reported with 2009 and Windows 7. To answer you question regarding email, the ACT! Email client can only connect to the default incoming mail port (POP3) of 110 and the default outgoing mail (SMTP) port of 25. If AOL uses different ports than these, then ACT! Email will not be able to connect. The option there would be to connect Outlook to your AOL account, then have ACT! connect to Outlook. In regards to a new version of Outlook, I believe MS Office 2010 is still in the works (there is a beta available), but ACT! does not support it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I realise ACT 2009 "does not support" Office 2010

I am using ACT 2009 and have just installed Office 2010 now can't see this in preferences to choose my default editor.

I don't want any support, just want to know why Microsoft word can no longer be seen or used?

Any ideas please?

Mind your own Business: brickweb.co.uk

Hello brickweb,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. If you are unable to see Word or Outlook as an option in ACT! preferences, it is because ACT! 2009 does not recognize the new interfaces used in Office 2010. Microsoft changes the way Office works with other applications each time it releases a new version...it was the same way with Office 2003 and Office 2007.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

GMH

We are going to purchase ACT! 2010 and want to select Outlook as the email program since it seems to be the most compatable.

Which version of Outlook, in your opinion, seems to work best.

I see Outlook 2010 is not supported so that doesn't seem to be a viable candidate..

Any suggestions/advice/comments would be greatly appreciated

Greig,

I also have Act! 2009 and just upgraded to Outlook 2010. Is there any way to connect these programs by installing a patch or something else? I would like to have the ability to track my Outlook emails in Act!'s history, and I hate that Outlook 2010 might not be compatible.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

At this time, ACT!! 2009 and ACT! 2010 do not support Office 2010. We are currently assessing the changes that would need to be made to ACT! 2010 in order to support Office 2010. I have not heard of anything in regards to ACT! 2009.

We will be providing updates regarding Office 2010 and ACT! 2010 via a special posting in this forum. Please refer to and subscribe to this post to be kept informed of confirmed new information. Click the link below to read and subscribe to the Office 2010 update post:

Microsoft Office 2010 Support for ACT! 2010 Updates

Greig Hollister

Its disappointing that Sage hasn't been proactive about making sure any version released in the last 2 years would be compatible with current integrated software from Microsoft upon release... i.e., Outlook 2010.

Think about how this sounds... Outlook 2010 is not supported by Act 2009... one year later, Act 2009 is obsolete.  Worse, Outlook 2010 is not supported by Act 2010.

BCM 2010 is much more compelling than any prior competing product, particularly since its fully integrated to Outlook 2010.  Its in your own interest and your customer base to get these patches for Outlook 2010 out yesterday!

I just upgraded to Outlook 2010 and I now realize I have two choices... either revert back to Outlook 2007 (lots of work to migrate backwards I just found) and wait for Sage to catch up, or buy BCM 2010.