Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 synchronization

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT 2009 synchronization

Hello! 

I have ACT 2009 installed on my Desktop windows 7 PC and on an older Laptop running Windows XP.  The laptop is the publisher and the desktop is the remote database.  All of a sudden, synchronization stopped.  I have continued using the remote ACT database and want to get the two ACT databases synched again but if I use the parent database, it's old information.  I decided to uninstall ACT on my desktop and reinstall.  When I go into Database information, it says Synch Enabled is set to True but Synch Role is blank.  My understanding is before I create a remote database, I need to manage a synch set from the parent or publisher database.  Can I still manage a synch set from this database? 

Or is there a way for me to update the old info on my Parent/publisher database from my remote database so I can manage synch set and then create a new remote database with the most updated information?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

RobG

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author robgforact
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 synchronization

Rebooted; checked ACTdiag and I was able to see the port and then synch started and now works.  Thanks for your assistance!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Rob,

Not sure what would have removed the sync role 'publisher' from your publisher database, but since you have been updating the remote database, you will want to use it to create a new publisher database.  From the new publisher you will then create a new remote.

To use the remote to create a publisher:

- Create a backup of the remote database (File > Backup > Database)

- Copy the backup file to the desktop

- Restore the backup on the desktop using Restore As option (File > Restore > Database > Restore As)

This will create a new database with a new name and remove any previous sync connection information.

- From the new publisher create a sync set and new remote

- Restore new remote on laptop

- Attempt to sync

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thank you Greg. Have been out of town and will attemtp to create and synch later today. Will get back to you with any issues. Thanks again!
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

I followed your instruction and backed up the databas and Restored As - and when I go into Database information under the About ACT option and scroll down, it states, "Synch Enabled: False".  It doesn't state that the database is a Publisher Database like my former laptop has on it.  I checked synchronization and it gives me the option to enable so I'm guessing it's disabled. 

Thoughts?  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Rob

Hey Rob,
You are on the right track, but only half way through the steps. Restoring the backup does remove sync information, so you will need to enable sync, create a sync set, then create a new remote database.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

So I enabled sync, created a sync set, then attempted to create a new remote database.  While going throught the steps of completing the remote database, at the end, I receive the following:

Failed to create remote database "laptop". Access to the path "C:USERS\ROBG\DOCUMENTS\ACT\ACTFORWINDOWS11\DATABASES\ROBDESKTOP31113-database files\78abc376ab14d3f99baddc185a32eae\BACKUP\Sb83c00905934755bdcfd484fdf6fd38.ADF" is denied.  Please contact your administrator for more help.  Would you like to create another remote database?

Also, I checked Database info under Help and synch enable is True but synch role is still blank. 

Thoughts??

Thanks, Rob

Look in the folder: "C:USERS\ROBG\DOCUMENTS\ACT\ACTFORWINDOWS11\DATABASES\ROBDESKTOP31113-database files\", do you see the file "78abc376ab14d3f99baddc185a32eae"?  If yes, right click it > select Properties.  Disable the 'Read-Only' option.  Close the Properties window and attempt to move the file out of the folder (drag it to the desktop).  

If you are able to do that, attempt to create the remote.

Note: Role won't update until a remote has actually been created.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

When I click on the folder, "ROBDESKTOP31113-database files", it opens up the following folders: Attachments, Backup, Dashboards, Layouts, Queries, Reports and Templates. I tried expanding each of these folders and cannot find 78abc376ab14d3f99baddc185a32eae.

Not sure where to go from here.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Are there any files listed in the Database Files folder? (along with the folders) If yes, move the file out.

Are there any files in the Backup folder? If yes, move it/them out.
Attempt to create remote.

Also: How large is the ADF and ALF files, and the whole Database Files folder? (right click on each and select Properties)
How much space is available on the C: drive?
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

I think I messed up and corrupted the database by removing folders and/or files you suggested. I also made the mistake of deleting my backup database and for some reason cannot find it in my recycle bin. But I am now using a database that's only a few days old and have backed that one up. I can't find the ADF files and there seems to be numerous ALF files. The whole DB file is 2.74GB and the C drive has 1.71 TB free - plenty of space.

After backing up the older database, I did a Restore as and tried most of the process again, still getting the same problem:

Failed to create remote database "ACTLaptop". Access to the path 'C:\Users\Robg\Documents\ACT\ACT For Windows11\Databases\ACTDEsktop-database files\9ee0cd652a3d48269dc1fffbd989a79b\Backup\Sad1439e44cd40d3837fa720814f8822.ADF" is denied. Please contact...

When you suggested, "Are there any files listed in the Database Files folder? (along with the folders) If yes, move the file out.
Are there any files in the Backup folder? If yes, move it/them out", Can you help me out a bit more with this since I obviously messed up my last db by doing what I thought you were referring to?

I sure wish this was easier!

Thanks,

Rob