Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 suddenly lost my Email setup and all Email records

ACT 2009 suddenly lost my Email setup and all Email records

I am using ACT! 2009 on a PC with  Win XP Pro SP3.  Recently when I routinely opened ACT it loaded up as if for the first time, i.e., the welcome screen came up along with the email setup wizard. ACT had “lost” most (but not all) of my setup preferences, specifically my Email setup.

After I reset my Email (internet mail) system it began to work OK, except that I no longer have any records in my Inbox, Sent Mail, Drafts, etc. folders. All the files seem to be present in my ACT for Windows 11, database, attachments folder in My Docs but not visible in the Email window. I have tried re-indexing the database – no help.

How can I regain my Email records? What caused them to be lost suddenly?

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 suddenly lost my Email setup and all Email records

Hi,

To be clear while ACT integrates with Internet Mail, but they are two separate programs with separate data storages.  If you had trouble with Internet Mail, it does not necessarily follow that ACT lost your e-mails. Technically if ACT could not find the Internet Mail store, all that ACT lost was the location/path. 

I find it unusual to  see Internet Mail on an XP system.  XP ships with Outlook Express while Internet Mail is built into Vista.  Internet Mail is the replacement for the Outlook Express, both are stripped down versions of the Office product Outlook.  So  Internet Mail is not really designed to work with XP .  It's possible that the error message you saw was one that was a result of a mal-alignment with the XP operating system which has a completely different structure to user files.

What is of serious concern is that you have "reset the Internet Mail system" and "no longer have any records in my Inbox, Sent Mail, Drafts, etc. folders."  If this was done and a new IM storage set up, it is possible you have overwritten the IM PST storage file. If you don't have a backup of the previous PST files, advanced tools are available to recover if the sectors on the disk have not been physically overwritten.  You might want to check with your local techie to see if they can help you.

From my point of view, whenever there is an integration of software, it is important to get clear on where the boundaries of read/write occur.  This helps in troubleshooting and may have prevented this if you had sought out professional help.

In your case, the true source of the problem seems to be using Internet Mail on XP.  ACT isn't the source of your losing emails.

To get your emails back, you need to have a backup or copy of the PST.   And don't try to use Internet Mail on an XP computer.

Victoria Marechal
ACC/Los Angeles
Skype Me: actcertified
www.crm-it.net

To: vmarchal

Thank you for your response. This is my first time ever to seek advice from a (any) forum setting. I am just learning the protocol for this type of exchange.

I appreciate the detailed analysis/advice. I will digest and try to apply it as soon as I have an opportunity. If I understood what you've said, it sounds like I need to, first, locate and restore my Email records and, second, convert to the Outlook (I have the full version on my machine) option for Email handling.

I am an experienced PC user and have been using ACT! since ver 1.0 (Pat Sullivan days) maybe 15-20 years ago, but I am not a "techie" and do not know the behind the scenes structure and process.

I have a backup, It is a zip file. I'm thinking I can unzip the backup file, copy the PST file specifically and overwrite the one currently in the ACT database. I'll check back to see if you have any further thoughts.

Thanks again.

Copper Contributor

Hi my friend,

I'm glad you have a backup of ACT.  However ACT does not store the PST (Personal Store for email) inside the zip backup.

MS Outlook, Internet Mail or Outlook Express, is the repository of your email application, usually with file extension PST (for single users) and OST for multi-user Exchange.   ACT only utilizes the email store to read/write into the ACT database.  They are two separate databases.   You will need to find a backup of PST or an archived PST backup.

Feel free to review my article "Hidden Tools and Tips for Outlook Email." on my website.  Even though it was written a few years ago the architecture of Outlook hasn't changed much.  The only exception is in Vista.  The "User" folders replaced "Documents and Settings" as part of the path.  And of course Microsoft has a lot of information regarding its native email applications.

Victoria Marechal
ACC/Los Angeles
Skype Me: actcertified
www.crm-it.net

Hi, I hope you must have resolved your problem by now, today morning I also faced the similar problem.

I am using ACT 2010 wit ACt native email client, today when I clicked on view email button it showed configuration wizard, I thought it is a normal missing email settings that is required so completed the setup and when I opened the email client all my old sent email and inbox emails wiped, I can send new emails but I need old email and history records. I also found that regular act backup through scheduler does not includes ACT native emails.

If you have found a way to solve the issue I would be grateful if you can share the solution.

Regards

Kunal Chauhan

Skoch Consultancy Ser. Pvt. Ltd.

kunal.chauhan@skoch.in