Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 importing contacts from csv file

ACT! 2009 importing contacts from csv file

I am new to ACT! I have always used excel but have now stepped up to ACT!  I am attempting to import into ACT!  I have saved the excel file as a .csv and went through the process to import however ACT! looked like it was importing but when it was done nothing was there.  I then looked at the trouble shooting and it read that the .csv file must have quotes around the data in order for it to import properly.  I opened the csv in word and the data is comma separated but there are no quotes around the data.  Can anyone help me?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2009 importing contacts from csv file

If you have saved the file as a .csv file in Excel, then quotes are not needed. What may be the issue is invalid data in one of the cells or missing data.  When exporting, make sure your .csv file has a column for the Contact name (ie, first and last name).  If you have separate columns for first name and last name, then create a new column, call it "Contact" use the concatenate function in Excel to combine the first and last name columns into that Contact column (see the Help function in Excel on how to use the concatenate function).  Also make sure that every record has a contact name associated with it. If youe have record that does not have a contact name, then either remove that record from the spreadsheet or put some type of value in there (it needs to be unique for each record).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

Technically speaking quotes are not "required" around data values in a comma-delimited csv file if you can guarantee that nobody tried to enter a company name like "ACME, inc". in the source data file.  In other words tried to enter a comma as an embedded field value and not as a delimiter.  Import routines will interpret "ACME" as the company name and "inc." as the subsequent data value.  Using quotes around the data value ensures that it will be interpreted as one value and not two.  Yes you could use tab delimited.  Usually however on purchased lists that people frequently use for import data consistency is not always as good as it could be.

Concatenating strings the first and last name together without a space.  Why did ACT remove the first and last name import ability?  I have used ACT since the beginning of time and this is crazy.

The ability to import in first, middle and last names has not been removed from the program. In order to import these fields in, the column headers in the .txt or .csv file needs to have the exact same names as the fields in ACT!, which are "First Name", "Middle Name", and "Last Name". The reason for this is that fields are hidden system fields in ACT!, so are not going to be available from the dropdown list in the Field Mapping dialog box. But if the columns names have the exact same name as the fields, then ACT! will automically match them up.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks for the info.  Obviously it's a bug that I am hoping Sage will address for the benefit of everyone.  All the other fields don't have to read the same for you to map them, only the first and last fields.

Just to clarify, it is not a program issue. Because the first, middle, and last name fields are hidden system fields, they are not available to manually map during an import - this is by design. However, part of the import function is that ACT! will automatically map columns from the .csv or .txt file that have the same field name as the field in ACT!.

Greig Hollister