06-05-2009 09:49 AM
I have recently installed ACT version 2009 (11) on my Vista/Office 2007 laptop. I have created a database and added names to it. I have set up Outlook as my email editor. My laptop is fairly powerful and is up to date with virum, worm, and trojan horse scanning. My SQL and ACT updates are current. All my other apps zip along, but ACT stinks. At the top of the stink list: problems with the Contact Details page. In particular:
1) I cannot create an email if Outlook is open, period. With Outlook closed, I can only create an email from the Write menu option (but it doesn't get sent until I open Outlook again). That method of creating an email does not always work; it works occasionally. Other times, the system hangs.
I cannot create an email at all by any other method, such as using the envelope icon above the details or the one in the toolbar on the left or by clicking on the email address field in the Contact Details.
2) When I do try to create an email, the whole system bogs down, sometimes completely hangs, and then verrrrrrry slowly the ACT page "paints" itself back up.
Thanks for any and all advice. This is frustrating and I feel like I must be missing something obvious.
06-09-2009 10:26 AM
What you are describing is not typical behavior for ACT!, so it may be that the issues you are experiencing are environmental. As a test, disable any firewalls, antivirus, scanners (especially e-mail scanners) you have running and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then consult the instructions for those problems to add the following processes as exceptions:
C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\ActSage.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Binn\sqlserver.exe
Being that you are in Vista, you may also want to try disabling User Account Control (UAC). The instructions for this can be found in the following Knowledgebase article:
You may also want to run Office Diagnostics under the Help menu in Outlook 2007.
In regards to the issue with the Contact Detail screen redrawing slowly, this may be due to your hardware acceleration setting. To adjust this:
- Close all open applications on your computer
- Right-click on your Desktop and choose Personlize
- Click Display Settings, then Advanced Settings, then click the Troubleshoot tab, then click Change Settings
- Using the slider, reduce the hardware acceleration to the fourth notch from the left. Click OK, close the remaining screens normally and reboot your computer.
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.
11-07-2009 02:09 AM
Has this been resolved as I also have this issue. I cannot create an email from with in Act.
Which ever method (menu, btton on clicking on the email address) The Outlook email does not launch.
Look forward to a resolve.