Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 database can not be accessed.

Copper Contributor

ACT 2009 database can not be accessed.

I have ACT 2009 running on Vista OS. Periodically I get the following message when I try to open ACT...

The database xxxxxxxxxxxx could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide.

To open the database I have to completely shut down my PC and turn it back on, then open ACT 2009 before starting internet explorer.

Also, ACT 2009 crashes almost daily. I have been running the software for almost a year and just started encountering this problem. After it crashes I try to open ACT again and get the above message. FYI, my antivirus software is Norton 360.

Please let me know of any possible solutions.

Thanks.

Stephen

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 database can not be accessed.

This may be due to Norton blocking the connection between ACT! and SQL. Please see KB 25143 for instructions to add ACT! and SQL firewall exceptions to Norton 360.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for your response. I followed the instructions listed on the customer support link you provided. I still get the same error message. "ACT 2009 could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on the server. Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide."

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Stephen

Copper Contributor

I also tried to temporarily disable my Norton 360 firewall, but that didn't seem to work, either.

What is strange is that the ACT 2009 database will open if I attempt to open it as soon as I turn on my PC. But it crashes shortly thereafter and will not open again. But if I wait until I've been using internet explorer to open ACT then the ACT 2009 database will not open at all.

I really need to get this sorted out. I have used ACT 2009 for about a year and only recently encountered problems with opening/using it.

Thanks.

Stephen

I'm having the same problem with ACT 2007 (9.0).  Anyone have any suggestions?

Hello wrosser,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Please see KB 19640 for more information and suggested solutions.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I will go through each of these possible solutions now. Thanks for getting back to me on this. Will let you know how it turns out.
Copper Contributor

None of the options listed helped but I was able to figure out a solution on my own.

I clicked on the Start button and then clicked on All Programs. I then clicked on Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and then clicked on Configuration Tools. I then clicked on SQL Server Configuration Manager. On the right side of the dialog box I changed the status of SQL Server (Act7) from stopped to running. I then tried to open my ACT database and it worked fine.

I've been struggling with this all day and I've read a lot of suggestions as to how to fix it. In the end none of them worked, but I worked out a solution. It was permissions on the shared folder, if you go into the advanced options for permissions you need to tick the boxes for 'Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects' and possibly 'Replace permission entries on all child objects'. I'm not sure the second one is necessary but I ticked them both and I can now run Act from a different server.

Hello Speedwell,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community! We would like to thank you for sharing your experience and solution with community. We look forward to your participation and future contributions.

Greig Hollister