Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 2009 crash/freeze

ACT! 2009 crash/freeze

[ Edited ]
I have Act 2009. V 11.0.0.367 and it crashes or freezes so much I have given up and now just looking for differnet DB software. I have used Act for 12 yrs and this new version with the sql db just plain old doesn't work. I have just plain version I bought as single user. Windows XP 2002 w/service pack 2.
Message Edited by dlunceford on 08-05-2009 01:08 PM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! 2009 crash/freeze

Hello,

To be honest with you, if the program is "crashing" and "freezing" as often as you say, then the issue is most likely related to your system or ACT! conflicting with something on your system. Please provide some additional information

- How much RAM do you have?

- How much free disk space do you have on your hard drive?

- Are there any other applications that have a similar problem?

- Do you have several other applications open at the same time when ACT! crashes or freezes?

- Are you getting any specific error messages?

- How often do the problems actually occur?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Well, I have the same issue and its on multiple machines of different specs and brands. here is some of the symptoms my users have reported

The freezing is random; most of the time it affects Outlook and sometimes we'll freeze up in Explorer (regardless of the search engine); we all experience a bogging down but not as the same time (it varies)

We get msgs that state we don't have MS Office/Word; asking us if we want to operate in "Safe Mode"; asking us if we want to "retry"; Outlook is "not responding"; and the latest is some crap referring to "add-in intelliclient for Outlook"

Version = ACT! 11.1.183

SAGE SUPPORT wasnt much help. They said it might be a MS.net issue.. hmmm

Nickel Elite Contributor

solidstinch,

On the machine(s) you encountered this issue on:

1) What operating system and service pack level is the machine?

2) Does the machine have all the Critical and Recommended updated from Microsoft including Office updates?

Regarding Support indicating that it could be a MS .NET issue is entirely correct.  The functionality of the ACT! program may be exploiting and issue on the hosting operating system that other non .NET applications may not, such as MS Office (Outlook) which is not a .NET application.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

well, the machines I looked at were all XP SP3 and were fully updated with all available updates. I cant say if every machine is of the same status.

So are you saying would an upgrade to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 fix this issue?

Thanks for the help.

Nickel Elite Contributor

No sir, but I do believe that is a recommended update from Microsoft being pushed through Microsoft Update.

Once everything is updated appropriately, I think we could then continue to focus on the issue, as the operating system and office updates are no longer a variable or in question.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Well if it is being pushed through MS update then it should already be on the machine. I verify that later as I am not at the machine now. Assuming it is installed, then ms.net wouldnt be the issue then. What else?
Nickel Elite Contributor

Let's verify that invoking Microsoft Update does not require any additional critical and recommended updates on Windows or Office first.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Ok I have verified all critical updates have been installed through MS update. trouble persists
Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for verifying that information.

Is there a specific procedure within ACT! that you are doing that results in this behavior?

If possible, could you uninstall your ACT! edition and reinstall it now that your Windows OS and Office applications are as current as they possibly can be?

I am interested in the behaviour you are seeing and if it is related to a sequence of events involving various updates at this point.

thanks

Matthew McFadden