Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009, Windows 10 Sharing

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2009, Windows 10 Sharing

Hello all,

We have a database in ACT! 11 (2009) (11.1.183.0). It is based on one PC in the office, and shared with the others. 

We've upgraded to windows 10, in stages going around the office, so that if any problems presented it wasn't on all PCs at once. To our (pleasant) surprise ACT! carried on working with out any hitch. 

We had upgraded the other PCs first, and in every case, ACT! remained entirely useful, linking into the shared database as normal and providing all the usual functions. The final PC that we upgraded was the host of the database. Since then, the network share doesn't appear to work. ACT! works on the host, and can access the database. Act! still works on the other PCs, but is not able to access the shared database. It returns "The database ***** could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."

The network access in windows seemed fine, however I re-connected the shares on the others, re-shared the folder on the host, re-shared the database itself and disabled all the relevant firewalls etc. I recognise that SQL server 2005 (which is our version) is not compatible with Win 10, however it has been fine for each other computer and appears to be fine on the host (locally). My feeling is that it probably is to blame, however I'm not sure how to test that, or do anything about it.

I think I remember seeing something during the upgrade process of the other PCs (I wasn't here when the host was upgraded) about SQL versions and downloading .NET 3.5 (including 2.0), although I may have remembered that wrong. If that is the case is there a way I can do that from the host (it never comes up with that message).

Apologies for the long post and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author thomn
‎08-05-2016 07:56 AM
Administrator

Re: ACT 2009, Windows 10 Sharing

thomn wrote:

I recognise that SQL server 2005 (which is our version) is not compatible with Win 10, however it has been fine for each other computer and appears to be fine on the host (locally).

Missed this part earlier. It could have seemed fine with the client machines after updating as SQL isn't used at all to connect to or read a database which is accessed over the network. This is likely why you haven't seen any issues with the client's running Windows 10. As SQL 2005 isn't compatible with Windows 10, and you haven't had any issues with the client machines before updating the host, I would suggest keeping the host machine on an older version of Windows to maintain compatibility. Otherwise, an upgrade to a newer version of Act would be needed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Thomn,

First of all, I would like to make it clear that Act! 2009 is not listed as being compatible with Windows 10 and is not supported. We have a useful Knowledgebase article that covers compatibility between all the versions of Act and Windows: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29767

Was the computer name changed during the update? See this KB for a solution: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16790
We also have an article that covers many other scenarios that can cause this error. Please try working through them: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19640

What version of .NET is running on the host machine?

Thanks Gary,

I know that it's not officially supported, but as the first few PCs we upgraded appear to carry on as normal, I began to hope that we may not need to abandon our ACT! afterall.

I'd looked through 19640 yesterday to try to resolve it. Incidentally (I'd forgotten when I posted originally), the article (and subsequent linked ones) says to detach the database from the SQL instance (to re-create the .PAD file), by using actdiag, however when I start actdiag, it says that it can't connect to the SQL Server Instance, so I haven't been able to use it.

I have registry keys for .NET 2.0.50727, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0.

Thanks again

thom

Incidentally - I've just tried actdiag again and it connected - there must have been an instance open before

To keep you in the loop, I recreated the .pad file and there was no change.

Administrator

If you went through the KB article (19640)  you've probably already done this, but just to be sure:

Are all of the necessary SQL services running on the Host machine?

Check the Services window (Windows key + R "Services.msc") to make sure that the following services are running and set to Automatic Startup:

SQL Server (ACT7)

SQL Server Browser

Thanks John,

Both are running and automatic. To check, I restarted both and tried again, to no avail. It may not be an SQL thing at all, I just remembered seeing something about SQL during upgrade, and I know that SQL 2005 is specifically listed as not compatible.

As I mentioned before, it seems only to be an issue with accessing the database over the network. I've tried setting up new test databases and they work on the local machines, but not over shared, although all the sharing settings (in windows and act) appear to be correct.

thom

Solution
Accepted by topic author thomn
‎08-05-2016 07:56 AM
Administrator

thomn wrote:

I recognise that SQL server 2005 (which is our version) is not compatible with Win 10, however it has been fine for each other computer and appears to be fine on the host (locally).

Missed this part earlier. It could have seemed fine with the client machines after updating as SQL isn't used at all to connect to or read a database which is accessed over the network. This is likely why you haven't seen any issues with the client's running Windows 10. As SQL 2005 isn't compatible with Windows 10, and you haven't had any issues with the client machines before updating the host, I would suggest keeping the host machine on an older version of Windows to maintain compatibility. Otherwise, an upgrade to a newer version of Act would be needed.

Thanks Gary,

I'm slowly arriving at the same conclusion.

Thanks for all your help Gary and John.

Thom