Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 + Vista = Won't Work

ACT 2009 + Vista = Won't Work

Vista computer.. ACT 2009 was working fine, and then it stopped working one day. It gives an error about the SQL server not running.

Uninstalled ACT, re-installed ACT, no resolution.

Uninstalled all security software, uninstalled all .net software, everything related to the parser (I forget what it is off the top of my head), all SQL software, and ACT, turned off UAC... no resolution.

Curiously.. the ACT installation process will NOT install the SQL software. It makes a directory, but nothing else. I can manually install it SQL Server 2005 (from the dependicies directory), but when I try to run the small program that adds the ACT information, it gives an error about ACT needing to be installed (which it is) for that program to work.

The only thing I haven't done is wiped the system and re-install it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 + Vista = Won't Work

Try telling the install executable to run as administrator.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Are you talking about the ACT specific SQL executable? I've been running it as administrator.

I'd list filenames but this is for a customer of mine so I don't have immediate access.

You have the SQL 2005 installer. This seems to install okay, but I have to do it manually from the dependecies folder. The installation process won't do it on it's own.

..and then you have the little executeable that sets up the ACT information into SQL. THAT is what I'm running as administrator.

I did have one bit of success, when I tried to MANUALLY create the ACT stuff in SQL, but I was following instructions for I think the latest version of ACT and so I had to make guesses in some areas. I was able to get the ACT7 thingie to actually run, but I still wasn't able to open any database files (assuming because I put in faulty information when setting things up since I had to guess).

..but I'm curious why the installation process isn't doing all this itself.

This isn't going to fix itself...