Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 (Version 11.0) sql server issues? not able to access database

ACT 2009 (Version 11.0) sql server issues? not able to access database

[ Edited ]

I am having issues with accessing my database.  A recent Windows (automatic )update was done on my computer and immediately after I was not able to access ACT.  It appears the SQL server had stopped and I was not able to get it to start.   I called a computer tech and he worked on it and in command prompt he was able to get it started with this code 

net start MSSQL$ACT7 /T360

I was still not able to get to my database and I uninstalled and then reinstalled the same version of ACT 2009 version 11.0.  It seems that everytime I attempt to open the database the SQL server stops responding (I then have to manually reopen) and this error message appears

Error - tempdb is skipped. You cannot run a query that requires tempdb

Could anyone advise? I am not very tech savvy and any advice would be helpful.  I am also wondering if I am to upgrade to the latest version of ACT, that it might by pass problems? 

I am on Windows Vista and I am the only computer, I am not networked. 

Thank you,

Patricia 

Re: ACT 2009 (Version 11.0) sql server issues? not able to access database

It sounds like the Microsoft SQL Server instance is damaged. Uninstalling and Reinstalling Act! alone won't fix this because the uninstall of Act! does not remove SQL. That has to be done separately. What you can do is uninstall Act!, uninstall Microsoft SQL Server, then reinstall Act! and act will recreate the SQL server instance for you. For instructions on uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server, see the knowledgebase article below: 

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26578

Updating to the latest version of Act! is not a guarantee that Windows Updates won't interfere with the Microsoft SQL Server instance because these things do happen. What I can tell you though, is that Act v16 is the most solid release yet. There have been quite a few defects between Act 2009 and v16 that have been fixed along the way as well, so it might possibly be worth it for you to upgrade.

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com