Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT 2009 Ver. 11 on Win 7: Email program not found

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

ACT 2009 Ver. 11 on Win 7: Email program not found

Just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista

When I click on the email icon to launch ACT email I get the following message box:

"There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default programs control panel."

I just click "OK" and Act Email does work, but how do I remove the error box from coming up?

Seems to be a bug in ACT on this OS.

FYI: Using Windows Live Mail client for regular email.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blake
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT 2009 Ver. 11 on Win 7: Email program not found

There will not likely be a patch as there is nothing to patch.  The components needed by ACT! 2009 are now missing from the operating system (Windows 7).

ACT! 2010 installs on Windows 7 do not attempt to make registration calls to MAPI when MAPI isn't present, so this is a non issue installing ACT! 2010 on Windows 7.

For your ACT! 2009 edition, what we can do is offer a workaround, a bit of a hassle yes, but this should resolve the issue.

Reinstall your Office XP software and include Outlook (though you don't use it) on Windows 7 and reboot.

Reinstall your ACT! 2009 after you have installed Office XP + Outlook.

That should resolve the issue for you.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Nickel Elite Contributor

The upgrade described here from VIsta to Windows 7 actually removes Windows Mail client from the machine.  Because of this, the MAPI subsystem is no longer available so the components have nothing to register against.

The message isn't detremental, rather simply an annoyance.

Please keep in mind that ACT! 11.x shipped in August of 2008 where Windows 7 shipped publically on October 22, 2009.  The first available test build of Windows 7 wasn't available until November 2008, nearly 3 months after the 11.x release, so there was no way of even knowing this issue under the upcoming Windows 7 release until the first beta was available.

thanks

Matthew McFadden

Thanks for sending the link to the issue.

I have Office XP installed.

Guess I'll just have to live with the problem. Email does work though as well as everything else.  Just getting the warning box with launch of Act email.

Just bought Act 2009 so I'm not inclined to upgrade to 2010 just now.

So does Act 2010 work correctly with Windows 7?

Will there be a patch for Act 2009 Ver. 11?

Solution
Accepted by topic author Blake
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

There will not likely be a patch as there is nothing to patch.  The components needed by ACT! 2009 are now missing from the operating system (Windows 7).

ACT! 2010 installs on Windows 7 do not attempt to make registration calls to MAPI when MAPI isn't present, so this is a non issue installing ACT! 2010 on Windows 7.

For your ACT! 2009 edition, what we can do is offer a workaround, a bit of a hassle yes, but this should resolve the issue.

Reinstall your Office XP software and include Outlook (though you don't use it) on Windows 7 and reboot.

Reinstall your ACT! 2009 after you have installed Office XP + Outlook.

That should resolve the issue for you.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Platinum Elite Contributor